Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrnorth4

Design of garden (cont.)

MrNorth4
18 years ago

Hiya!

Since the old post I made started to get rather long with lots of pictures, I decided it was time to open a new thread ;)

Well, a few days ago I bought some plants at the local nursery, including a japanese red maple, some hosta, iris, a sumak and some peony.

When I made the drawings it all looked so nice, but when I had the plants on site, I felt really confused!! I tried many different ways to position them, but they all felt wrong! Please look at the pic below:

{{gwi:1009424}}

The red maple is really lovely in the evening sun and I dont wanna ruin it by positioning it incorrectly. The tree on the left is the "sumak".

Do you think some additional carpentry is needed? I know about herbs suggestion of roofing... Perhaps any railing? Or stairs?? Please tell me any suggestions u might have (that doesn't involve removing the deck, lol).

I will add some gravel around the deck...

/Henrik

Comments (24)

• azpatriot66
    18 years ago

Henrik,

I am the last person to say anything due to my lack of experiance in these matters however; that being said how about:

Moving the Maple over to the back corner just to the side of the trelis. I know building codes restrict what you can do but how about some type of crawler on the trelis?

The maple is your centerpiece and I think would look quite
    well just off that back corner.

Regards,

Erik

• ltfuzz
    18 years ago

I would put the maple in a nice big pot and put it on the deck where I could look at it from the chair which I would put there, too.
    I have two such "potted maples" waiting to be placed in the garden once I figgure out the best location.
    Is the maple etal to be used to soften the lattice work? Is this something placed along an entrance to your house? Do you want to be able to see the maple from the deck (eg Japanese garden viewing from house)?
    THe reflective heat from the siding might be too hot for the maple during summer if placed in the corner (ask the maple forum). At the end of the latticework (to right, in picture), the maple would grow into something seen from both sides.
    Ramblings from Dave

• Herb
    18 years ago

You say you're going to add gravel round the deck, & I think you asked somewhere else about what to do about stepping down from the deck. With gravel surrounding the deck I think the step down needs to be thought about, because I doubt you want to step down onto gravel.

I've seen several engawas where there was a considerable step down & sometimes this seems to have been made easier by positioning a big flat stone to step onto.

You, I gather don't have much access to rock, so maybe a concrete stepping stone would serve the purpose? I think the near corner (in the picture) of the deck might benefit from placing something there - probably a shrub?

A couple of ideas here - more as discussion points than as ideal recommendations to follow -

Click here

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments, I was afraid I started to sound boring. I was a bit distracted when I wrote the post since I was on my way to a "date" with a really nice girl from Thailand (who is currently in sweden).

Fyi, it went rather well, fairly soon we decided to stop talking swedish, and we both felt more comfortable using english. heh ;)

Herb, I might consider to hire you soon ;) Your pics always hit the mark. I really like your idea with the gravel and the big stepping stone. To find such a shape is hard, and I really want a bit more unevenly shaped stone. Or I might consider building it in wood, just like the deck. It would be easiest.

I like your idea about the big shrub to take away the yang of the sharp edge (i read a book about feng shui when I was ill last week). ANy suggestions about what kind of shrub? I was thinking a pinus mugo would look sweet.

About the "sumak" its real name is Rhus typhina. The only reason I bought it was that I liked the foilage and it was cheap ;) Im not really sure where to plant it ;)

And as for the maple, I feel really uncertain about where to place it. First I thought it would look nice where it is on the pic, but then.. I really want to see it from the deck view. I didnt buy it to please the passing neighbors (who wont see it anyway once the hedge is grown). I will give it some more thought...

to sum up my thoughts:

* I like the idea of the step up where you placed it Herb.

* definetly a shrub like pinus mugo (tree...?!?) to hide the sharp corner

* Definetly a large area of gravel to add some balance to the wood and grass.

* reposition the maple where it is best suited.

*NOTE* Please check the gallery section for pics of the japanese garden (in ronneby, sweden) that I visited.

thank you all, and good night.
    Henrik

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik -

Whatever you do, please make sure that your new girl friend introduces you to Durian.

Some people complain that it stinks to high heaven - but once you acquire the taste for it it's one of the most gourmet experiences this world has to offer.

Herb

• asuka
    18 years ago

LOL - In Northern India I tasted a 'Jackfruit' (a fruit named after me.. yay! :) .. quite a large structure, approx 18"-20" with compound kernels inside a thick, prickly outer skin..
    Durian sounds suspiciously similar (?) - the smell was cloying, and the taste was also sickly sweet. I couldn't smell anything else for days! :)

Henrik - You can make your step out of concrete and shape it any way you like...if you first make a temporary mold a little larger than the intended dimensions, and then carve after initial set - before the cement/concrete completely hardens.. then leave to cure, covered in damp rags for approx a week or so

Jack

• inkognito
    18 years ago

I am late coming to this but what is it you have there, Henrik? I didn't follow the other stuff, sorry.
    You have a wooden platform on the corner of your house, does it go round the corner, I can't see? Then there are two trellis panels tacked on the end of the wooden platform with five or six different plants in pots pressed up against the outside. Excuse my tardiness as you probably explained this before but what is this for? Does it have a purpose?

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Durian? Hmm I will try to find out what that is ;)

INKognito: The view you are seeing is definetly WIP. This is the western side of the house, where the sun set. And the deck is L shaped starting from the back of the house and turning around this corner, just so I can enjoy the evening sun too.

Since there is lots of unwanted views in the direction of the camera, I put up those trellis (in lack of better material) and the thought is that shrubs (yet to be planted) will surround the "sunset viewing deck", and possibly a roof later on. The picture posted by Herb can possibly give you a hint of where im going with this ;) And the plants in the pots are some items I recently bought, but once I got them home, I felt very uncertain on how to deploy them :( Hence I made this thread continue :)

I will start to work on the step today (wood or cement, still to be decided). And perpaps someone else have some neat ideas on what kind of planting will both block unwanted views, as well as give the people on the deck a pleasant view.

Herb, I know you are very keen on high fence, so I talked to both the neighbors and the city planners... neighter was too keen on that idea. So I ahve to do my best with shrubs and wait for the hedges to grow.

/Henrik

• kobold
    18 years ago

Henrik

The maple would look very good in a container, check out the Maple Forum for special soil mix for container use. If you have it in a container, you can move it in the winter or try to found the perfect spot for it.

On the trellis a climbing Hydrangea would be nice, ( H.petiolaris), slow starter, later on needs good, strong support.

For stepping stone check out the Hypertufa Forum, you can make different shapes, texture, size, as you need.I made many stepping stones for myself, very easy, I can give you step by step insructions.

Andrea

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will check out the hypertufa.. i have experimented with it earlier when making lanterns... ;) But probably it will be a wooden step...

Oh, yesterday I bought a really nice pinus mugo and placed it in the corner as herb suggested... looks great!!!

/henrik

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hiya! Today I spent a few hours rallying my troops (the plants), but yet Im not 100 % sure how to make it balanced... The pinus mugo looks really superb at the corner location, and creates a very "pleasing" feeling when looking at it... it just suits perfectly. I will buy one more and place at the far side of the deck.

Please have a look at these photos, I tried to add all the material I have available... and if u feel there is something missing, its easy to buy it ;) I will definetly go for evergreens, because I like how the dark green color blends with the color of house, deck etc... The green color of the ferns look rather annoying...

{{gwi:1009425}}

plants from left-right

sumak
    holly fern
    japanese red maple (wheeere to place this, dont think i want it in a pot)

hosta
    bamboo
    pinus mugo (placed!)
    peony

{{gwi:1009426}}

The areas that make me the most uncomfortable are the places in front of the trellis, and in the corner trellishouse wall.

I REALLY dont want to create a look of just piling up different kind of plants, like in a nursery... as it is now on the photo. But the feeling of "perfection".... but yet how hard it is to achieve ;)

oh, some plant will be added to climb the trellis... It will originate from the left side... close to corner.

kind regards
    Henrik

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

ok, how about this:

{{gwi:1009427}}

• Herb
    18 years ago

Sue -

I've just downloaded that picture to add to my collection of other peoples' ideas & pictures - I hope you don't mind.

What's the tree with the numerous dark trunks?

Herb

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow!!! That is very nice indeed!! If my garden was a bit smaller it would have worked perfectly!!!!

Does that mean you don't see any future with the space in front of the trellis? I have a pretty good idea on what I want to do with the back yard (something similar to the one you made, but with a bridge and stuff).

If u feel there is any hope at all, is it possible for u to make a scene of the part between trellis and corner of house (where all the plants are in a row)... Perhaps I cant replicate it in real life, but atleast it gives me a hint or two! onegai shimasu ne ;)

thanks, beautiful work!
    /Henrik

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1009429}}

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

I think it's a pittosporum.

{{gwi:1009430}}

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik - 3 questions -

1. How far back does your lot extend?

2. Does it extend all the way back to the forest?

3. I quite like the idea of a fence where Sue has placed one - does the restriction on fences between you & the neighbours also apply between your house and the forest?

• Herb
    18 years ago

Here's a different approach - the presence of the forest in the background seemed to suggest that it might be incorporated as part of the view. (Whether there's really room for this, or whether the forest will soon be cut down to make way for more houses I don't know). But it was fun trying the idea out.

Click to see

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all so much for your efforts!!

As for Herbs questions...

The depth of the property is 30 meters... then remove the front and the depth of house then you get about 16 meters from the deck to the forrest (there is a difference in height, the forrest is about 4 meters lower than my property).

I dont thing there are any problems with adding a fence where sue has added it... however It will block the view of the forrest :( But I like the general idea a lot. It sure gives me a lot to think about!!

Herb, I like the area with the gravel, with some other plants it could be a really nice thing!

I feel I owe you guys (and girls) a proper bird view layout of my property! I will try and complete it tonight! Then you will have a better idea of what the property looks like ;)

But thanks for the efforts soo far!!!

/Henrik

• Herb
    18 years ago

Sue's Pittosporum & fence were both appealing, so based on Hank's measurements I guessed where to put the fence in order to divide the back yard. The Pittosporum's been replaced by a big Mugho Pine with a similar tangle of trunks under the head. Just some ideas.

Click here

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Herb! Nice indeed, I just wish there was a natural path leading out to the forrest ;) Perhaps I can make a stair of some sort.

I did a crude attempt of combining the ideas from sues composition into what I have on site, and here is the result:

{{gwi:1009431}}

here is another one with the red maple, but I figured to leave it out of teh pic, since it will eventually grow much taller. Im not sure what kind of shrubs to use to surround the lantern... preferrable fast growing? Junipers?? japanese grass? Looks kinda naked during winter. hmm

{{gwi:1009432}}

I also added a stone composition, but perhaps I should scrap it? Overall Im pleased, but Im sure there is a final touch Im missing somewhere... Its all about balance, something that is hard to achieve I think... At least with only one pair of eyes.

kind regards
    Henrik

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik,

My instinct is - plant just one thing there - an evergreen that is (or will grow to be) nearly as tall and wide as your trellis - think big.

Herb

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Herb!

Interesting ideas, however since this area i fairly large and actually quite boring to my eyes I figured it would look sweet with a BIG bamboo (like the one I planted, it will grow fast and cover most of the trellis in a few years) The stones I will get rid of.

And why did I add sues composition (lantern, junipers and red maple)... well that wall is VERY boring to look at, and that corner need some light... and it balanced the view horisontally I think... else only the big bamboo in the middle would be a vertical component.

kind regards
    Henrik

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik - I've put another starting idea in the Gallery. Perhaps it would suit the bamboo, which could go in the middle of the gravel?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery