Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
germinating Zanthoxylum piperitum

Posted by tetsuma 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 05 at 13:44

I've been trying to germinate some sancho seeds that I was given, and not having lots of luck on it. I've got three batches going: two in pots (one w/ sandier soil; one with less sand) and a batch in the fridge in damp paper towels.

The pots have been going for three weeks, have kept them moist. Someone suggested wet sand, which makes me think about stratifying them. Any suggestions welcome.

thanks
David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: germinating Zanthoxylum piperitum

Are the seeds really fresh? I don't have experience with Z piperitum specifically, but germination techniques usually span most genera. Scarification in acid would have been best to start with. However, stratification in moist sand for 4 months at approx 40 F will probably be the way to go. Keep an eye on them for early germinators and remove them as they show.

o
RE: germinating Zanthoxylum piperitum

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 19, 06 at 20:52

Hi
It is untimely posting But I do anyway.

Sansho seed have to be harvested when soon after seed are mature , let's say around October. If seed left on the tree/shurb too long , seeds are not germinate well.

If you want to saw seed in spring, clean seed and keep seed in mosted sand. you can use plastic pot and your wife's/ girl friend's old pantyhose to separate sand and seeds. moist but not wet sand.

keep plastick post out side under eave of garage or unheated strage place untill late Feburary or early marchand . Saw seed directry in ground. or soon after seed are mature,you can saw seeds directry in ground. seed should not be covered too deep. 1/4 deep is good enought. Mulching soil with pine straw or wheat straw. avoid large chunk of pine bark mulch.

if you can use jify pot. it work better since roots are not disturbed.

General speaking, Sansho can't transpalant once tree is mature. male tree and female tree is needed to produce seeds. Identifying tree male or female , you have to flip trees up side down. ^^
when sansho flower apear late march or early april, then you can tell tree is male or female.

you can air layer on second year branch to propagate in small scale production. also you can graft sansho.

Please let's me to know if you want to know more.
mike y

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here