Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Book by Mark Peter Keane

Herb
18 years ago

I have complained before of feeling uneasy with two changes that were made to the Nitobe Memorial Garden when it was last renovated, but a third one that I don't think I've mentioned was the big gap that had been made in the hedge separating the Tea Garden from the rest of the garden, so that people can now walk into the tea garden at one end and out at the other. It just felt wrong, but I didn't know how to explain it.

Now, after reading this from Mark Peter Keane I think he does explain it -

"To evoke the sense of a long journey in the small space between garden entry and teahouse, these (i.e. teahouse)* gardens employ a series of thresholds, each one accentuating the feeling of passage, of entering progressively deeper into a new world. The thresholds begin with a roofed outer gate, sotomon, which separates the tea garden from the outside world. After entering, the last guest turns to the gate and closes the wooden doors, shutting them with a wooden cross-bolt. The dull smite of wood on wood signals the arrival of guests to the host, who waits unseen inside. To those who have just entered, it has a deeper meaning: they are no longer part of the world they just left."

*I added the words in brackets

Click here for the rest of his insight

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!