Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Flight of fancy for Henrik

Herb
18 years ago

I doubt you have any access to rocks like these Henrik - I certainly don't - but I like to imagine that I could get some like them for our garden.... H.

Click here

Comments (12)

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

I have seen these for sale in California, they are basalt pillars. If there is any vocanic action in Scandinavia I assume Hendrick may be able to find them. Doing a quick google, there are basalt pillars in Iceland and Great Britain, so I assume that there is a chance they may be available locally. BTW nice job, Herb! Sue

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Very nice Herb!!

sadly, stones are a rare commodity in my part of sweden... you ahve to go out into the countryside where its impossible to get a big enough truck with crane to lift them... The only stones I can get delivered (for BIG bucks) are rounded stones... In orange and yellow color...:(

I will get rid of teh trellis, since many people have suggested it is distracting, and possibly replace it with a hand-made bamboo fence... any suggestions on which style could be appropriate? I will try to make it myself....

The big bamboo will definetly be the main focus in this scene...

Kind regards
    henrik

• StashBC
    18 years ago

Herb, I just love the little lantern with its 'keyhole-shaped' pedestal.... a very easily-rendered shape into cedar!

Good luck,Henrik..... I once traveled as a young man up to Edsbyn [?] to visit a Swedish lass.... so very long ago when my gypsy-blood and testosterone were much higher...lol

Ron

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Henrik - If you're not going to use that style of trellis, you might consider staying with cedar lath - but instead of fastening the laths in the 'X' configuration, have them horizontal and vertical. I think they'd probably stay in good-looking condition much longer than bamboo.

Herb

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

another fantasy, sorry that I couldn't get the angle of the bridge a bit more right on, but it didnt want to cooperate! I was thinking adding the zigzag bridge would integrate the narrow decking into the landscape Sue

{{gwi:1009485}}

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sue - That's very imaginative. I especially like your rocks, pond, & waterlilies cobination. Herb

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's combination.

• davissue_zone9
    18 years ago

I just want to get that deck not to stick out like a sore thumb. Since it's long and thin, I think a zigzag bridge could be spun off it, perhaps having it a bit wider at the deck end and tapering as it goes out to a more usual width. Hendrick could also position the bridge so it goes the other way around to the front of the house, then a pond could be in the front and wrapping around the side of the house, it would make a nice focal point. Hendrick, you mentioned providing an aerial view of the property so we could see where everything was in relation to each other? It would be helpful to have it. Sue

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Hi!

Wow thats very imaginative and nice, but Im not sure how easy it is to make ;)

I have no good excuse for not making the map, but i had to put in a lot of overtime the past week (60 h weeks at work) s my garden is really lacking... havent fed my kois for 2 days :( and no water on plants either...

But im on it.... promise!

/henrik

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Hi my friends!!

Finally, I was able to make a crude sketch of my property. Although the dimensions are not 100 % correct and not all plants are in place, it should atleast give you a good idea of what I have to work with...

{{gwi:1009487}}

If you have any questions, please ask!!!
    Im going to bed now ;)

cya!
    Henrik

• asuka
    18 years ago

Henrik - Don't let the availability/cost of rocks keep you from building what you'd like... you can make artificial rock any size you like ---everything from the waterfall to stepping stones, and lanterns too --- with a little practice :)

Jack

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Well, since everyone seem to be out of ideas (including me) I will pause the designing of this area (for now) and start it again when spring is coming. I will most certainly replace the trellis with a fence less unsettling. Any suggestions on that? Im thinking bamboo...

And during the spring, I will also make plans for a roof covering my deck. But i have to make plans on how to build it. Anyone here skilled in japanese architecture? I know many japanese houses have a deck similar to mine with a roof covering it...

The only "bad" thing with a roof is that I block the view of the sky.

cya!
    Henrik

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz