Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melis_689

If you have to be an expert to get a response what is the point.

melis_689
16 years ago

I stumbled upon this forum a few months ago. Since then, I've read all the posts. I have to say that this is the BIGGEST disappointment on the garden web and a waste of time.

I posted a question at the beginning of this week and not one person has bothered to respond.

Forums are meant to help novices. You shouldn't have to be an expert to get attention. I posted the same question in another section and got numerous answers from people who wanted to help---not judge my expertise, or question my design ability.

Instead of posting "Let's revive this forum" why don't you start by helping".

Comments (7)

• laag
    16 years ago

I don't think it has anything to do with being an expert. There just does not seem to be anyone posting on this forum. I've been lurking for two or three and have made some posts, but there is not a lot of discussion because there few people here.

However, you should realize that the stated purpose of this forum is:

"This forum is for the discussion of all aspects of designing, creating and maintaining Japanese gardens--including plant choices, design elements and historical information."

It does not say it is here to help anyone, but most forums with active members do help novices because it is fuel for discussion and learning for everyone.

I'll try to help you on your posted question, if I can.

• barrelhead
    16 years ago

melis_689, I've been popping in and out of this forum too, and for the most part have to agree with you. I think what's going on here is that there's a handful of intellectual diehards who want to keep this a closed club for them and their "sophisticated" pals. As a result, they often talk down to occasional posters, personally attack those who challenge their social construct, admonish questions as "novice" and yearn for the good ol' days when they could sit around their computers pontificating about shokusai. No doubt I will be accused of being one of their long standing adversaries in disguise! No worries... enjoy.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

What is strange about this is that the original complaint came about because of NO answers and not because the 'experts' " talk down to occasional posters, personally attack those who challenge their social construct, admonish questions as "novice" and yearn for the good ol' days when they could sit around their computers pontificating about shokusai."
    Also, as the people who wanted to discuss Japanese gardens more seriously no longer post here at all I would have thought this was an amazing opportunity for you to make of this forum what you will.

• barrelhead
    16 years ago

Not strange at all. I was agreeing with the original post and expressing another related point ie. that the type of individuals under discussion either (1) don't respond to novices as stated in the original post or (2) if they do or did respond, do so in the manner my post described. Sorry, if I didn't spell out that this was an additional more general comment on the state of this board and some of the people who do or have frequented it.

Me thinks that given your comments Inkognito, you might include yourself in the category I described. Let me ask you this: What makes you say (assume) that the previous discussions by the people who have left the board was ever "more serious"? Just because these individuals may have had a more detailed formal understanding of Japanese gardens, it doesn't mean their questions or their intent is or ever was more serious. Any questions a novice poses are no less serious. If you lament the loss of these former posters, you could always go join them on their new forum?

Lastly, nobody can "make this forum what they will". It was precisely that type of control ethic that created the previous problems in the first place, as some members attempted to create a 'closed club' situation by ignoring or condemning certain posts. Internet forums are a dynamic and ever fluid environment, and anyone can contribute.

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi Inky.
    Wow ! you are beaten up badly.^^.
    Do you have any exciting project lately ?
    This is free country. They can say/write anyway they want to. That is good part of democracy.

Take good care of your self. Mike

• suel41452
    16 years ago

It's sad when a GARDENING forum, for heaven's sake, becomes so heated!!!! Like Yama says, it's a free country. Post what you want, respond to what you want, ignore what you want. KEEP A SENSE OF HUMOR PEOPLE!!! Resolve to be kind or at least diplomatic. Don't respond at all to insults!
    Sheesh - can't we all just agree to disagree and be somewhat polite about it?

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

It used to be active, some people left and it petered. I don't think attacking other posters will do much to revive it.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus