Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip7

Arbors

kevip7
18 years ago

Looking to build a jap or chinese Arbor covering my 10x 20x patio, anyone know of any web sites or good books on how to do it my self? I cant seem to find anything.. kevip@excite.com

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments (18)

• inkognito
    18 years ago

Shouldn't that be "jap or chink" kev? This abbreviation is not appreciated by some regulars on this forum and although you probably meant no harm a little etiquette goes a long way.

• Herb
    18 years ago

A similar question was asked at this site - maybe the answer there will help -

Click here

• kevip7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Incognito.. your comment is noted.. fact is I am married to a chink so I have some leyway in my lingo of oriental races, maybe I should of posted any dumb ass wasp honky redneck W loving americans know how to build a japanese or chinese arbor! have a nice day..

• kevip7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Herb, thanks, domo oragato, xie xie, com sa mi da, gamun, mgoi... PC enough for you incognito..

• nachodaddy
    18 years ago

Wow, I did not think that marriage provided lingo "leyway" with respect to oriental races. Ask your father-in-law about that one. Maybe her uncles and brothers as well.

BTW, If you want to be PC then it is "asian" not "oriental"

Just trying to help a brother out.........

Michael

• kevip7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I hate getting into this but white people man.. so ignorant of the east.. If I am not mistaken it is oriental.. all my friends are oriental/asian/gooks/chinks/japs so yeah I get all the leyway I want.. hell they call me a chink.. white skin filled with yellow on the inside... father in law doesnt speak english and brother has no problems with non deragatory slang, its all in how you say it.. least I am not calling people f.. ni... or dumb fre.. cana..ns

if we can please assist with orignial post I would be much more impressed

• inkognito
    18 years ago

kevin, it was not a question of political correctness but a gentle warning due to the way that abbreviation has been received here in the past. It was more by way of pointing out what might be 'politesse' (a dumb Quebecois word meaning politeness).
    That being said let's see what it is you that want to do. Do you want to cover your patio with a structure that has an oriental feel?

• kevip7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you met me you would never question my racial slang, I am not sure your race besides French Canadian. I have a 20 x 10 foot patio I did with flagstone with a cedar border.. I am looking to design a asian/oriental flare arbor that covers all, with maybe some wisteria to cover the top.. I have looked at home depot/lowes books and seen nothing I like.. I like the corner asian flair or japaense type style.. I am so picky that I am so hard to please I was looking for any help/book/website anything.. I do know I wish to use cedar to match my patio.. I can send you pics of my current backyard now if it helps you to give me some ideas... here is the US I dont see much help and contracters here are worthless who do poor work. I am the perfectionist type, my wife wants full cover but I am fine with the beams and wisteria cover.. I would like to do all the work myself.. sorry if I insulted you before with my language but I get so much leyway here cause many condider me asian with with white skin.. I maybe forget sometimes.. I have been all over asian, speak mandarin, spanish, and bits and pieces of japenese, and korean and cantonese, in grade school I spoke french ande was actually com si com sa, but now its back to bonjour and merci..

• inkognito
    18 years ago
  • inkognito
    18 years ago

Well kev is this what you were looking for, was it useful?

• kobold
    18 years ago

kevip7

Inky can be French Canadian, we all can have different ethnic background, but we all belong to the HUMAN RACE.

• kevip7
    Original Author
    18 years ago

no, been to one of sites already... I am so picky, nothing really seemed to fit my patio.. still looking.. been to gatteneaux prolly spelled wrong but mostly my visits to canada are ottawa and toronto.. I acutally work for french company.. anyway thanks and if you see anything else or have pics let me know..

merci
    Kevin

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Fyi, its "domo arigatou", or ÂÃÂà  ÂèªÂänot "oragato"... ;)

/henrik

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

Kevin, I saw very few plant arbors in Japan gardens, and the ones I did see were of plain design and covered with wisteria or trained fruit trees. For Japanese flavor, I would suggest natural posts, squared at the bottom and returning naturally round toward the top (these can be set on and anchored to base stones). Some should be straight and some have a crook or fork toward the top. Structure beams can have crooks, but will need to be augmented with straight pieces, unless you would like to see a nice peak in one end view! Connect these with the best joinery you can muster. Top the beams with a layer of darker, milled, weatherproofed lath joists (2" x 3" or so at 6 to 12 in spacings), and crown everything with replaceable, natural, round cross-pieces. Example: 2 x 2 natural pole or bamboo (properly aged bamboo is necessary if you want it to last any time at all) at whatever spacing you desire. When choosing wood types, color contrast between the different layers add interest.

This is kind of a cross between a patio arbor and an inner gate structure. Hope it helps!

dp

• iamkatiehackett
    17 years ago

i'm interested in info about pruning crabs and other trees/shrubs/vines that are trained to grow along wooden frames. in japan the most common application appears to be fujidana.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Yeah still looking I will also like to have some covering or housing for all my pond equipment, Would like to have the japanese or chinese style for this to. I am not familiar with fujidana, I did plant three chinese wisteria with a frame behind it, like a three way cedar frame, not sure what to call it. Still looking for builder in my area for a Arbor or something.. but right now broke due to the koi pond, I have total 7 fish now... I know the first part of this post was all about race comments, I hope they can all be deleted or ignored.. still amazed though how so many people get offended so easily even though they know the offender doesnt mean any harm by it, and yes I do get leyway with all my asian friends with race comments, but I am considered asian, but white on the outside by all my friends anyway... Below is my link to my web site.. add your comments, hate mail, whatever.. would love to get more guestbook comments.. also looking for crushed granite so if anyone knows of a source let me know.. Would like to add a small asian rock garden behind my pond..

Here is a link that might be useful: My Web site..

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

My DH built me an arbor over our deck with an Asian flair. He designed it himself. I don't know how to post pics on Garden Web but I could email you some if you'd like. It is about 10' x 20' in size made of cedar.

• kevip711
    17 years ago

Sure... thanks..

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting