Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Gardens in notable Periodicals

Posted by edzard 3b Canada (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 18:42

All,...
another interesting note of the acceptance, the need and the way in which Japanese gardens are becoming mainstreamed into our cultural, urban and landscape solutions is to be found in this months edition (August 2005) of Landscape Architecture.
Featured are Hotarumibashi Park and Robert Murase's home at Gray's Bay, Washington.

(a sidebar is also an article on pebble mosaic pavings (Jeffrey Bale) most commonly found in Chinese gardens, certainly excellent inspiration for the DIY person in need of paving wishing personal expression)

Does anyone know of any other periodicals that have featured Japanese gardens or techniques in the last while?
thanks,
edzard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Gardens in notable Periodicals

Edzard;

Not to hijack this thread but Murase-san's stonework is extraordinary. Not forced. Subtle. His works are everywhere in the Seattle and Portland area.

It is sad that his retreat at Gray's Harbor was published so soon after his unexpected death. I was living in Vancouver, WA. at the time of his Esther Short project and was able to see his detail in the build process. A true master.

To answer the original question, I'll keep my eyes open.

Michael

o

Did you see Japanese garden mentioned in any travel magazine?

o

I am not sure where you want to go with this particular enquiry edzard. One way to look at it is to think that what is particular (peculiar) to a Japanese garden could divert the mainstream yet you know this is not possible and that the Japanese garden joins the mainstream. So what then? Would you prefer that it remains distant and somewhat esoteric?

o

Fortunately for all, its been a long long day, so I'll be brief.

I suspect and have observed that japanese gardens and the techniques are becoming very mainstream. Are they? Or is it my imagination?

August or September, Gardens Illustrated featured Shunmyo Masuno, cemetary gardens.
The back cover of Fine Home Building, September I think, was dedicated to hmmm, mind is slow, the guy who is featured often in JoJG, Bennet ? that specializes in building Japanese custom homes.

Yes, there were some gardens mentioned in travel magazines and high end 'Lifestyle' publications, for example a hotel and resort, featured in Dwell magazine (hmm, August, I was at the airport) with a superb garden in Kitsura that had a kabuki theatre moved in at the turn of the last century.

I wondered, INKognito, what I may also be missing since I don't get out much, and when I do, I work too many hours to visit news stands... I felt that others may have noticed some things I missed.
edzard

o

Where is kitsura?

o

I saw an article in the San Francisco Chronicle recently. The Japanese garden at Golden Gate Park is under attack for selling "unauthentic" candy bars and so forth.

o

Marc P. Keane just wrote a great article for Garden Design just a few issues back..., heck, even I garnered a quote in the New York Times two years back on just this very topic...

You must get out more, Edzard...

;)

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here