Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azpatriot66

Bamboo..formal or informal and other perimeter issues

azpatriot66
18 years ago

I have pretty much exhausted Tucson's supply of Japanese garden books, issues of JOJG and other are on the way however I will pose these questions.

What are everyones thought's on bamboo, as I am sure many have read in preparing this garden I need to partition the yard and perhaps cover the existing wall that exists. I have done quite abit of reading and would appreciate the input on the options I see, all thoughts are appreciated.

I want to create a space that is moderatly formal, yet not have the looks of a shinto shrine or at the same time not one so informal as to light up the tiki torches and pass the spiced rum. I gave the estimated costs here so if anyone else has a simialar project these would be a rough draft on expenses not including labor for those of us not as handy as hendrick and others.

1. Create a type of dobie wall over the existing block with an overhang and tile. This is a good idea because of longevity and a moderate cost ( However the roof tile is a bit high in cost.) As you can see in the picture I have block posts in the wall that exted out an inch. In order to create a true Dobie wall I believe that creating a facade of wood/ply wood would be needed to create the overhang for the roof and to be able to have a flat area to texture (those posts throw and kink in it). I think this would be one of the best looking scenarios with an estimated cost of 1500.00 + labor

2. Use a brick veeneer (or faux veneer) and cover the wall making it look quite abit more like an authentic stonewall. Pretty easy to put up, last forever estimated cost of 4500.00

3. Rail system with cedar or 1" bamboo poles. Easy to put up, 10-15 year lifespan. Cedar is more formal to me whereas bamboo seems much more relaxed or informal...cost 750-1000

4. Leave the wall as is. By reading the past 6 monshs worth of posts and other sources I am glad I have a wall existing in the first place. While not traditional I could probabaly use foliage to disguise the wall or I could paint the grey brick to give the garden a differen feel.

Please give honest opinon in a few of these scenarios I could spend half my budget on the fencing and walls alone. I am the type that would rather not do something or wait until practical then do it half-way, however I think there are enough options here to make something work.

Henrick, would appreciate your input also..I like what you have done with your fence and am very impressed with the speed and quality in which you get your projects done.

Thanks to all.

Erik

Here is a link that might be useful: existing wall

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions