Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asuka

Hakoniwa Pix update

asuka
18 years ago

Hi all,

Here are a few pix, and a couple taken during the early days, which I've never posted before .. hope you have a broadband connection - if not, maybe grab coffee while it all downloads :)

{{gwi:1009841}}

After I'd designed the garden, it took me another 3 mths to make every rock from hyperstone. The kakehi and rear fence are made from bamboo blinds. The black bamboo, I harvested from my yard. The shoji for the lantern was made with balsa, and surprisingly, it's still in one piece after almost 4 yrs.

{{gwi:1009842}}

For the first year, I had moss on the lantern roof, as the trees' intended silhouette hadn't yet grown into place. You can just see the glint of the wire which I used to train that tree.. scroll down to see what I had in mind :)

{{gwi:1009844}}

Plantings are maturing and moss comes off..

{{gwi:1009848}}
A view from behind

{{gwi:1009850}}

{{gwi:1009852}}
An autumn night..

{{gwi:1009853}}
A low profile view of the composition from the right side

{{gwi:1009854}}

I love the nightlife.. :)

{{gwi:1009855}}

Stripped-down for maintenance work.

{{gwi:1009856}}

Winter sun..

and the cycle continues..

Jack

Comments (9)

• didgeridoo
    18 years ago

Thanks for including us in this journey, Jack. I absolutely love this garden! It amazes me that you have captured the 'it' of the JG in such a small space. Do you mind revealing the approximate dimensions?

-christian

• Herb
    18 years ago

Jack -

It took me a couple of minutes to realse that they aren't 10 but just the first one with variations and with different lighting or viewed from different perspectives. I especially like numbers 1, 7 and 9.

Looking at number 7, I can understand your taking 3 months to make the rocks. When the folk who frequent the Hypertufa forum see them I expect you'll get more e-mails asking for instructions!

Herb

• asuka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Christian - I'm not sure whether you remember, but this was built as a memorial garden to a beloved pet who passed away suddenly after 15 yrs. There is a sweet story about the 'Rainbow Bridge' for grieving pet owners, and so, at the time, I wanted to include that bridge as an integral part of the composition. The dimensions of the tray are 2' x 4' x 1.75"

You are quite right, Herb. All those photos are really just about the passage of time. The intrinsic composition never changes . . and as for the 3 mths... I tend to be a bit retentive and overly fuss with everything :)

Jack

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

Simply beautiful work... love the composition!!! The pruned trees are aspecially nice, as well as the "mountain"

/henrik

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

Very nice indeed. Interesting progression, especially with the privets. I'm actually not sure if I (personally) like the pruning; rather, I would like to see it a little looser and not as topiary-like.

No matter what, excellent execution.

-Audric

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

i love the pruning... it looks best as silhouette against shoji or whatever.... simply stunning! Looks like a real mountain with trees...

/henrik

• asuka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, fellas :)
    Interesting observation, Audric - actually, the privets were pretty much sheared a few days before that last shot to 'renewal prune' .. and start over. I generally keep the silhouette a little fuller with a softer hemisphere, similar to the night shot above.

Jack

• Lee_ME
    18 years ago

What a beautiful garden, Jack! Thanks for sharing photos of it. It's especially nice to see how it changes over time.

Lee

• asuka
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lee :)

For Walter: This pic shows the pipe and drain to/from sump

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1009839}}

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor