Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental grasses to structure a garden

Posted by Arroyo z4b Taos NM (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 05 at 1:23

Anyone know of examples of ornamental grasses (e.g. miscanthus sinensis cultivars) being used as the "bones" of a Japanese garden?

I'm just beginning. Using the drainage contours--small arroyos to structure the space. 3 bridges are in place. Cover cropping in the arroyos to build organic matter. Several OG planted as experiments in the adobe soil.

Thanks, Joel
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental grasses to structure a garden

Joel;

If you have not done so already pick up David Slawson's book "Secret Teachings in the Art of Japanese Gardens". IMHO, the best Western book on Japanese Garden design theory. Read, take notes, walk your garden, repeat as necessary.

To answer your question, I believe "yes, it can be done". If you want to make it formal, I have always thought that sage can be a good substitute for azalea in desert climates.

Look forward to investing in a lot of larger stones. "Dry landscaping" does not have to mean barren but in your case you might need to offset some green for hardscape.

If you are just beginning and have the beginner mindset, take a roadie to the Japanese Friendship Garden in Phoenix. Based on your initial post, I think you will find a lot of answers there.

Good luck, keep an open mind, spend more time outdoors finding those "things" that are the tenets of Japanese Gardens.

Michael

o

Miscanthus does appear in scrubby hill areas of Japan but that doesn't seem to be the kind of a landscape you are creating.

I'm sure miscanthus could be used, particulary as a substitute for ferns in the same way palms substitute for ferns in Okinawa gardens.

Most miscanthus cultivars originate from one prolific German hybridiser including the one I have 'Nippon' which I believe is the smallest miscanthus cultivar (still looks quite tall at over a metre).

I think your desert garden is going to look amazing soon! Well done.

o

What about bamboo?

o

• Posted by Arroyo z4b Taos NM (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 24, 05 at 15:53

Bamboo would be wonderful but their are only a few mountain bamboo cultivars that are zone4b. My understanding is that bamboo loves shade or dappled shade -- non-existent in my situation.

My internet-derived list of z4b OG that do well in clay, and full sun, and have strong winter interest :
M.sinensis purpurescens
M.sinensis Gracillimus
Sorghastrum nutans
Andropogon gerardii
Penisitum alopecuroides Hamelyn (a bit chancy but planting location is protected by a wall which will also bounce and capture winter sun)
Penicum virgatum (rejected because we are in grasshopper country)
Calamgrostis acutiflora Karl Foerster
Helictotrichon sempervirens

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Joel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here