Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rocks - then & now

Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 2:28

These are pictures of a rock arrangement in the Tea Garden of the Nitobe Memorial Garden in Vancouver.

In the left-hand picture, the rocks (in 1970) look much the same colour as rocks I've seen locally when they were newly excavated. The same rocks have later shown up - after a thorough hosing down - as blue as the rocks in the right-hand picture. The right-hand picture was taken today.

Apart from the rocks' change of colour, the most noticeable change is that the hedge has been removed. The ground cover is different too.

Click to see & compare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocks - then & now

The two photos don't have the same exposure/color balance. It's pretty obvious if you look at the plant foliage.

o

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 11:05

KNR - I think you've got close to the explanation, & I was mistaken to assume there'd been a drastic change of colour. The older picture was taken using Kodak colour film (Kodacolor, I think) - and I digitalised the left-hand picture from a print which had probably faded over the years. After reading your post, I looked at some more pictures taken at the same time as the left-hand one, and at least one of them does show some of the rocks with a slight blue colour - Click to see it

o

I suspect that weathering can eventually make even an ugly rock look decent, but I wonder how long it would take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here