Awesome, please invite me ;-)

• Jetherina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is beautiful !!

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Real nice! Neat and tidy. (Unlike my garden)
    I'm guessing you live in the Pacific northwest, west of the Cascade mountains. The clues are, the basalt column and Swordfern. Is that a Vine Maple?
    Mike

• Maxxx
    9 years ago

amazing! love it.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

If I can throw in some criticism, those pink flower bushes should have been used more sparingly. And the path would probably have been better off without that gravel. Japanese gardens often do make use of gravel, but one must know exactly how to properly use it.

Also, the Japanese influence seems a little 'forced', really not something one wants to do if one truly wants to emulate Japanese aesthetic values. Neither is your garden very grand.

Honestly, the basalt (although I do like it) may not have been the best to go with the rounded form of the Japanese garden.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I like it a lot. I mean come on, it's beautiful.

But also this is a Japanese garden forum. You did ask what people think. So....

I'm just learning Japanese garden design so I have no criticism.

I do appreciate you posting the question and also Socal2warm's comments because from what I've learned so far they seemed valid points for a Japanese garden. There was some detail. It wasn't just "Yuk". The criticism helped me with my garden design which is why I'm here.

On now for some totally unrelated random junk....

I used to post in other forums covering subjects I have experience with and it is a problem...many people posting only want encouragement which is perfectly fine. Other people want help which is fine. Responding to these posts is really difficult because there's no way to tell if the OP is looking for compliments to help them continue in the hobby or they actually want help.

Today 90% of the time they want compliments only, and often get pretty mad (not you, others) if anything else is given. How mad? Death threat mad, I kid you not.

30 years ago (I'm really old) only diehard fanatics would spend $3000 for a computer, a 150 baud modem and wait 40 minutes for a text post to download. Pictures? What's a picture? It was always OK to give criticism. Still made everyone mad but in a constructive way. People who only said nice things were called names and driven off. It was harsh, but that was the world of diehard hobby fanatics.

The times they are a changing and smartphones moved the pace into hyper drive. I'm a software engineer and one of the things I create are bots. Software that act like people. The opposite of evil these steal nothing and only hand out positive comments. Forum owners (not this one) buy these so it looks like they have lots of users and make the real people feel good. When a person posts a pic the bot almost always says something positive. "That's beautiful!" Easy to program.

Everyone is happy. My bots are very well liked. This is no secret. It's well known 70% or more of tweets are from bots. Facebook, YouTube and all social networks have lots of bots. They do no evil, they only compliment, never post anything controversial, they don't steal stuff, they're there with the web site owner's permission (direct or implied) and people absolutely love them. 6,000 friends on Facebook makes a person feel loved...until they hear about someone with 10,000 friends of course. In the back of their head they may know it's all fake, but people still crave it.

It's the new world. You now can choose which news to read so you only get your opinions repeated back to you. "News" web sites like CNN already changes content based on who's reading. And web sites know more about you than you do. You can post the most crazy thing online and get a dozen bots telling you how clever you are.

This is getting to be a huge business, all possible because people love it.

But there are still a few real people hanging about answering questions. Long rambling posts that almost no one cares about. So unfortunately, for a little while longer, people will have to put up with other people's opinions. But soon, very soon, nothing but positive stuff.

In the mean time you can buy personal bots that you can configure to respond to your own posts in positive ways. Facebook, forums, whatever. When someone criticizes one of your posts you can even direct some to come to your aid. It's pretty cool.

I recently stopped posting in many public forums because it just upsets posters to hear stuff they really don't want to hear. Instead I now post mainly in non-public forums on the deep web. They don't show up in search engines and so are only found by private invitation. There it's still OK to give constructive criticism and learn. Very, very small groups. No advertising. No bots, just real people. But a person must be secure enough to accept constructive criticism at least somewhat.

Why post this? Cause I'm looking for deep net Japanese garden blogs and forums to be invited to...hint, hint.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I like it. Not my style, but I like it. (I have dogs and grandkids)
    Any garden can be subject to changes. It's the nature of gardening.
    Well done, and in a very small area.
    On second thought and closer examination, maybe located in Europe.
    Mike

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I have been in some gardening forums that are nothing more than a mutual pat on the back clique. Any criticism or helpful suggestions are attacked with a vengeance. Some say if you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all. I don't see it that way.

I know gardening and garden design well enough to give constructive suggestions that should have some validity. I don't mind good debate, but I'm dismayed when it's disregarded.
    years ago I worked two years for a Japanese American landscaping company. I was the only Caucasian. We installed Japanese landscapes. I'm no expert on it, but I do know the essence of it and a lot of the reasons why it is the way it is. I also had my own landscape and design firm for 35 years. I did more conventional designs, but with an Asian influence.

I too, thought Socal2warm made some good points. I would add that it seems crowded and needs some 'negative space'. It's a bit overdone for me.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my garden...mostly.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

And it would be great imo to say why criticism isn't valid. Maybe the garden is intended to fuse English and Japanese...I don't know. But I sure would like to hear about the design, the goal, the thinking. More interesting imo.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

It can be difficult to incorporate ALL the characteristic elements of a Japanese garden into a small space, because Japanese aesthetics is about simplicity.

The lighter pink bushes on the left seem more authentic than some of the other flower bushes. The reddish color and bougainvillea deep purplish pink bush on the far right do not seem like they fit into a Japanese garden so well.

I like the center (on the left), but the side against the fence (on the right) does not look quite right for some reason. Possibly the bright flower bushes just draw too much attention away from the center? Or it just seems it is lacking something? Japanese design is about dissymmetry, so perhaps the plants on the outside against the fence are too similar to the ones in the center. It just seems too 'uniform' (can't think of a better word). Or maybe it just seems unbalanced. Could you plant a tree or tall bush on the other side (against the fence) to give it more weight? or maybe a very large round boulder. Difficult to provide any exact suggestions to tell you what do.

In my last post, when I stated that your garden is not "grand", I meant that there is not some big red bridge or cherry blossom tree, no big distinctive landmark Japanese-design focal piece. not that the absence of such is in any way a bad thing, but I simply meant that if you had incorporated such a piece, even if it was not really properly warranted in the space, it could be forgiven.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Based on past experience in forums on other subjects I try to remember that opinions, suggestions, etc., are based on photos. In person a garden has always in my experience been completely different. I've often changed my mind completely after seeing a garden in person.

Photos are being discussed, not the garden. There is a big difference imo. It's up to the OP/designer to figure out if suggestions have any relevance. It's the best that can be hoped for online.

• Ramon Smit
    9 years ago

mr socal2warm are u some sort of authorithy on japanese gardens ???

a japanes garden is a depicment of a natural scenery a Japanese Gardener told me

Ramon Smit ( owner and designer od this garden

if you want to see the complete garden i have a facebook page dedicated to my garden called

www.facebook.com/ramonsgarden so you can see the complete lot

Ps The Pink "Bushes" are azaleas

and its is situated in the Netherlands , Gouda to be precise

• J1mmy Talaska
    9 years ago

Ramon, your Facebook garden pics are amazing

• Haroon Abdul Majeed
    8 years ago

what is the area of your garden? how many sq feet?

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I very much like the general composition of your little piece of Japan. The only criticism I have is that I don't think the style of Japanese garden lantern really suits. I suggest it would look more authentically Japanese with a different lantern - e.g. something like the one in your garden picture that I've amended with Photoshop -

http://s15.postimg.org/qoce8usgr/New_Lantern.jpg

• Mike
    8 years ago

Overall, I like this garden very much. Well done, Ramon.

The posters here would be hard pressed to do as well. If so, I'd like to see some pictures.

Mike

• lukifell740
    7 years ago

Basalt is always good. Just knowing what basalt is makes you awesome. Really, who knows anything about minerals ? Nobody that I have ever met.

• marinaka Ito_10a
    7 years ago

As a native Japanese, the first things that popped up in the photo and distracted me were the round stepping stones. I'd rather see more natural-looking slabs or even rectangular stones. We don't like too much symmetry. We like asymmetry. Also, I see too much pink. I like more subtlety.

• Gibson Zone 9 (Central Valley, CA)
    7 years ago

Stunning! Beautiful! No need to follow a bunch of rules - it's a living garden.

• Ramon Smit
    7 years ago

Thank you for the comment Marinaka ....i am working on new steppingstones but have to find the right ones

the stones i have right now is what i could affort at the time

the stones are the only symetryin the garden ..... i am not a proffessional and got all my knowledge out of japanese garden books

Ramon

ps i have a lot more pictures on my facebookpage

www.facebook.com/ramonsgarden 

• User
    7 years ago

marinaka - After reading your comments about round stepping stones I've begun to think that I may replace some of my round stepping stones too. In the meantime here's a picture of a Japanese garden (not mine alas) that I particularly like and downloaded years ago but that now I can't trace anywhere on the Internet so I've uploaded it to Imgur -

http://imgur.com/YlyiZaM

• Klaus Koester
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I also love it. Especially the steam. It looks like in some Hokkido garden (:

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

I'm in agreement with those who say that if you post pictures seeking only approval, and you bristle and bridle at any form of criticism, even if it's well-phrased and constructive, then maybe you should post that as a request, in part of your initial post.

I now hesitate to say anything that might be viewed as critical due to actually having my head bitten off to my knees, by other members questioning my audacity and personal knowledge.

Look; it's a public forum. The vast majority of people here are hear to both help/support, and to learn/expand on their knowledge.

If anyone finds it hard or offensive to "hear" a critique of their efforts, then it's questionable as to whether they can actually be open to making any constructive progress.

The Garden is beautiful. But if I am (kindly and gently) honest, I was having exactly the same thoughts as marinakaSoCal (whose thoughts you were grateful for) but you were a little sharper with Socal2warm, whose input was not dissimilar. I suppose the fact that marinaka is Japanese makes their input more...'legitimate'...?

I knew a guy with the RHS, at Wisley, who is a British-born expert on both Bonsai and Japanese Garden style, who gives regular workshops and lessons on both... and a lot of his would-be students are from Japan. So with the greatest of sincere respect to marinaka being Japanese doesn't necessarily make for expert, in the same way that I, as an Italian, am necessarily an expert on Pasta! I hope marinaka understands that this, in turn is not intended to be in any way insulting.

It's important to understand that critiques on this forum are not intended to insult or belittle. They're intended to provide a different perspective, and to help/support the OP.

And no; I always now provide a disclaimer to my comments and assure everyone that I am in no way putting myself forward as an authority on anything at all, garden-related. I've had my head bitten off too many times now, not to.

And so it is here. But People are my business, I would add...

• Ramon Smit
    7 years ago

Thank you for the nice comment TaraMaiden :-)

and i think every one is entitled to have their opinion ,,,,, i would not be offended

if i was i should not display pictures of my garden here

i have done everything in my garden myself ..... sometimes with a little help but the design and all the landscaping is my work

i created this on a budget ..... and a lot of elements in a japanese garden cost a lot of money in my country ( the Netherlands) i also live in a house that is from the 1920's and need maintenance too ..... so one year i spend my money on the garden and an other year on the garden .

so i know that the round stones call for discussion ... i also have seen pictures of gardens in japan with the same type of round stones .... this is what i could affort at the time .... and i am searching for the right type of stones for a while ... but its not easy and they dont come cheap

same goes for the "Pink" but i think if you put 20 people next to each other they all will have their opinion on the subject

the rocks in my garden took me 5 years to find for a good affordable price

with best regards

Ramon Smit

Gouda , the Netherlands

www.facebook.com/ramonsgarden for the 10 year photo documentary of the development of my garden

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

There is no question that authentic or not authentic, the garden is spectacular. I think the bottom line is not whether it is a direct and dedicated "copy" of a Japanese garden, if you will. I think it's outstanding in the work you've put in and the precision of the layout. It is obviously something you are very proud of and rightly so. The additional photographs belie the amount of effort and work you must have put into it. The sweat and toil is artfully concealed within the exactitude and flow of the path and waters. Yes, some things may not be authentically 'Japanese'. But neither are California sushi rolls, or ogo nori with mayonnaise...... It's known as 'Fusion cooking'. This I would say, is Fusion Gardening.

• User
    7 years ago

Regarding that bot stuff mentioned, that is unethical and should be illegal. Total BS and there is zero doubt in mind my that it has negative consequences. Things like increased suicide rate,etcetcetc.

• PRO
    Daryl Toby - AguaFina Gardens International
    7 years ago

I want to congratulate Raymon on your garden as your hard work has certainly paid off. The idea of creating or emulating a "true" Japanese garden is so difficult these days for a number of reasons (aside from budgets, material availability etc.). There are gardens built and maintained in Japan from various periods in history along with gardens built at later dates that may copy or modify styles or technique used in prior periods. I only mention this as there are various examples of "true" Japanese gardens that may support and at the same time counter aspects of our modern interpretation of a Japanese garden. There are certainly principals of Japanese gardening that are followed to maintain an authenticity, but in the end it is my personal feeling that the goal is about creating a space that speaks to you, whether it is completely authentic or not. Having said all this rather verbosely, I also compliment you on being open to critique and your desire to improve... I can guarantee you that even the most famous garden builders in Japan did not always get it right all the time or the very first time! Realizing we are always students needing to learn is perhaps one of the most important aspects of Japanese style garden building.

• PRO
    Daryl Toby - AguaFina Gardens International
    7 years ago

BTW - i just re-read my post above and hope it does not read as a "back handed" compliment. Your garden is beautiful - DT

• loulou M
    7 years ago

that's really impressive

• Al Dinsmore
    7 years ago

Spectacular,Im sure you worked very hard but it was well worth it,congratulations

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 years ago

I love your garden!!..I like the stone circles..there were aggregate circles in the yard when I moved here and I like them..no corners and they never look crooked..if I lived closer I would say give your circles to me if you replace them!!..hope you continue to maintain and enjoy your unique garden..

• Tranquil Garden
    6 years ago

I would call it “Japanese style” instead of “Japanese” as the only Japanese gardens in my opinion are in Japan - I’ve been there many times.

Yes, typically Japanese gardens have more empty space but obviously a normal urban lot is constrained in size. And you are limited by available plants, reasonably priced hardscaping and other restrictions of your climate so you are not going to easily have an authentic Japanese garden no matter what you do. Even our world-famous Butchart Gardens here in Victoria, BC had to make some compromises IMO when they had a Japanese designer design their Japanese garden.

I think the garden is a good representation and so long the OP is happy with it that’s all that matters.

• dreamr
    6 years ago

Very beautiful! Amazing development over time, even with the space restrictions.

• mblan13
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Although I do agree with the critiques, The OP did state it was his "little piece" of japan. I geuss the parts in question are from the "other" piece!

It's still a Frickin' AMAZING garden...Nicely Done!

• calamondindave
    6 years ago

Wow...Very beautiful. Inspires me to do something like that.

Sponsored