Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevega_gw

Is there any interest?

stevega
16 years ago

in continuing the discussion on how to make a "Japanese or Japanese type" garden as started in the REVELATION thread?

"Amen to HOW. I think that Ink has offered a good start by defining a characteristic that would be incorporated in the garden. I offer that the first step is to define the area available for the garden.

Next would be to identify the vantage point for viewing (in the case of a small area) or the path and destination (again for viewing) for a larger area.

Now it gets harder. We need to define the subject to be viewed or the experience generated by the garden. Ink offers miniature or idealized landscapes. I like that and it approaches the HOW.

I look forward input from the forum to advance this thread. I think that it would create interest and enthusiasm for people to install Japanese gardens in their landscape."

Comments (7)

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Let's give it a try steve: It seems that there are some essential elements in a Japanese garden (I offer the picture below as an example of what type of garden I am describing), these are stones, water (or mountains and streams) and ...
    Enclosure seems important.
    {{gwi:1009949}}

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ink. I think that the garden shows that enclosure is important to contain your view and consideration. Also part of the enclosure is not as you would normally think (high screen) but the pebble lake encloses by being barren.
    I don't get the position of the bench. It appears that one should sit facing to the right. I don't see an obvoius (read inviting) way to get there and the bush prevents you from sitting that way. The "Y" shaped "rivers" look to be made of rounded stone that would not be used as a path to approach the bench.
    One can also see the stylized landscape. If it is a stylized landscape, what is the tall conifer and are we sitting on top of the mountain looking down on the world. That's an unusual vantage point for a Japanese" garden from my experience.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

The picture wasn't presented for any other reason than to show a 'Japanese Garden' as a real thing as opposed to an ideal and to offer a reference point, it was certainly not meant to suggest a model. We could analyze this garden and its 'viewpoint' at a later date but for now are we not talking about the ingredients of a Japanese garden? I just wanted to clarify or simplify which style of 'Japanese garden' I was talking about.

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that the type of garden that you have show as an example is one that many would be interested in and would have wide appeal.
    If we agree on that, I would like to discuss how to make one if there is interest. I started with identifying the area available and that may not be the best way. I believe that you are saying that idenfication if the essential elements of a Japanese garden is the starting point. These elements can be scaled to fit the area. I think that you need both so I'm OK either way.
    Stones, water and enclosure. Add evergreens?

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it's been a week. It looks like this forum isn't welcoming enough for people to "risk" participation.
    I guess it is overly ambitious to tackle:
    What type of Japanese garden do I want?-list the common types and their characteristics/parameters
    How do I go about building each type?-what special techniques/attributes are involved?
    What techniques/attributes are common to many or all types of Japanese gardens?
    Maybe all you need is the author's opinion in books. I see garden design as a creative process not necessarily bound by one person's opinions or taste.

• inkognito
    16 years ago

Steve, there seems to be a parallel discussion, see 'colour'.

• stevega
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ink-I'm on it.
    Researching "gyo" ratio as it relates to tonal value blend.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus