Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notcooking

New to: gardenweb, midwest, japanese gardening

notcooking
18 years ago

Having just moved from Southern California to the Midwest, my tropical garden is a thing of the past. I would like to focus on Japanese influences in my suburban yard, but i really don't know how to get started. I am totally new to Japanese gardening. At this point, I am not interested in a formal Japanese garden, but want the serenity they lend. Are there any books you can recommend for a newcomer? I figure I will have lots of time this winter for learning and planning.

Comments (8)

• Floyd7
    18 years ago

Hello notcooking, two good starter books that I find useful are, A Japanese Touch For Your Garden from Kodansha International and Ortho's, All About Creating Japanese Gardens. If you are so inclined, a subscription to Roth's Journal of Japanese Gardening offers lots of tips and ideas that could be useful as well.

• Herb
    18 years ago

Notcooking - I agree with Floyd's recommendations. There's some useful advice here too - Click here to read it

• Archer55
    18 years ago

Yes, I agree with Floyd's recommendations too. If you only had $75 to spend, those three books would be an excellent investment:
    1. A Japanese Touch for your Garden
    2. Ortho's Creating Japanese Gardens
    3. The Journal of Japanese Gardening

If you had $100, I'd recommend that you also purchase "A Japanese Touch for your Home."

• Archer55
    18 years ago

I forgot to ask - Where do you live in the Midwest? In a previous life I spent some time in Akron. I have fond memories of the people but not the place.

• notcooking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Gonna be a long winter with no gardening.

• Cytania
    18 years ago

Good news notcooking Japanese gardens should give you winter interest in a way Western one won't. Look to concentrate on evergreens and rocks that will look good in the wet/snow. Perhaps a teahouse/shelter where you can view in/after the rain?

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

Get out to Rockford to see Anderson Japanese Garden before they close at the end of Oct. You are welcome to come to Chicago Botanic Garden year-round, the Japanese garden is especially beautiful in winter. Of course, this year, we have a major construction project going on - you just have to ignore the chain link fences and imagine the lake filled with water. Also, the library at CBG has an excellent Japanese Garden section. Call ahead to make sure it is accessible - during the reconstruction of the building it is being moved around a bit.

K. Berry

• notcooking
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the good info. I bought the Ortho book last night, but the other I will have to order. I was actually at Anderson Gardens last week. It's beautiful and what piqued my interest in Japanese gardens. I will get the CBG soon, and will check first about the library. I appreciate all of your help.

I also saw something on the internet about a Japanese garden in Geneva...anybody know if it's worth the trip?