Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefromsd

Where to advertise

joefromsd
18 years ago

hey folks.

I design/build some nice Japanese garden structures and offer them both as Kits and also Plans (for people out of my local area), and I'm looking around for places to advertise since my website's not bringing in the customers.

The first place I'll have an add is in the JOJG, but I'd really like some other suggestions. I thought maybe in Ponds Magazine .. any other ideas ? How about overseas, especially in the UK ?

Comments (8)

• ltfuzz
    18 years ago

I would think "Sunset" or "Southern Living" would give good exposure. Your stuff is "upscale" so maybe an investment in "Arch. Digest" might be appropriate.
    Go to the library or "google" for trade magazines and investigate the local wholesale marts in LA.
    I envy your skills.
    Thoughts from Dave. Good luck.

• george_in_the_uk
    18 years ago

Hi Joe,
    I could put you a link on my website to your website if you like, it may not do any good but then again it might.
    George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

• asuka
    18 years ago

I agree with Dave - websites are a great resource, but you also need to run print ads (which can provide an url to your site for more details ) Definitely Arch Digests and woodworking/gardening trade mags.. and don't forget the Koi and Bonsai folk.

I understand that you like to design yourself, but don't be too dismissive of opportunities to work with architects or builders who may use your services as part of their own design package (at least 'til you're a household name :)

I would also suggest doing a basic course in Marketing .. it will provide solid strategies - people with artistic talent often neglect this fundamental aspect of business

Jack

• keithnotrichard
    18 years ago

Hi Joe,
    The kit idea sounds good, but I'd be more interested in plans. It's not like my woodworking shop is all that great, but I've got a table saw and a joiner. A little mortise work sounds interesting. There might be others like me who would rather build it by hand than buy a kit.

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

I would second Jack's suggestion to take the marketing course.

Advertising is expensive. Or, it can be if you make it expensive. Unless you have major profits and plenty of business already, I would avoid advertising in "larger" magazines (i.e. Architectural Digest). The cost would be astronomical, and unless you've already got a very solid reputation, you couldn't expect very much business resulting from that ad.

Start smaller, and work from there. Advertise in more smaller local/regional magazines, at garden shows, and any other type of related events. If things turn out well, then you could go for an even wider range, then an even wider range, then possibly even overseas.

Although it's good to think big, it's always best to start small. Many people start off too big, and bite off way more than they can chew (not to mention swallow and digest!).

-Audric

• joefromsd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some good information folks, I really appreciate it. Don't think I want to get into taking a Marketing course though.

Can anyone think of any other Japanese Garden publications besides JOJG ?

Sunset and Southern Living magazines are both good suggestions but I bet their add space costs alot.

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

Don't forget Robert Cheetham's website jgarden.com. I refer people to it all the time!

K. Berry

• joefromsd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yea, I've been on the jgarden.com site for quite awhile now.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?