Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardinista_gw

Japanese maples

jardinista
13 years ago

Hey all--In the process of putting in a japanese Garden in my yard just west of Boston. Have 2 junipers that will be low and spreading and a Hinoki Cypress(dwarf) Looking for a JM that will be short and spread-y/weepy. Prefer the red/maroon colors. any suggestions? Also any suggestions for other evergreens that have interesting shapes? Thanks,Jardinista

Comments (16)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

'Red Dragon'.

• jacklord
    13 years ago

Red Dragon would be a good one. Check out any dwarf Japanese maple that is a "Dissectum." I am in the process of picking one as well.

• mike423
    13 years ago

You could also go with Inaba Shidare (Acer Palmatum Dissectum) Zone 5-8 witch has a great cut leaf and weeping look. I'm currently growing one as a Bonsai.

• erink65
    13 years ago

Make sure you check the amount of sunlight it will get where you plant it. We have one in our front yard that we planted 2 years ago now (Red weeping jap maple) and it gets to be a beautiful red until later in the summer when it gets more sunlight, then it turns more green. We LOVE ours.
    Can any one advise on trimming though - as in when and how?

• mike423
    13 years ago

Yes most Japanese maples (especially most of the red ones, which are naturally weaker) should be planted in a location where there is partial shade (not in direct sun, during the afternoon hours when the sun is hottest). If they are left in strong sun depending on the cultivar the tree could get "singed" leaves and some times in extreme cases (in prolonged exposure)die, while some others simply don't hold their color as much. 'Fire Glow' is a good red leafed variety that does great in full sun, so make sure you but the appropriate tree for the location you have in mind. Doing some research online concerning the cultivar you are interested in is always recommended prior to purchasing a Jap. Maple.

erink65 as far as pruning it depends on what type of pruning you are looking to do as there are such a diverse techniques for different purposes (large branch removal, general seasonal pruning to maintain current shape, pruning to thicken the branch structure, etc...).

• acer_guy77
    13 years ago

look up Ryusen, and check out weeping blue atlas cedar

• magoo1
    13 years ago

We're in N. Texas and have a Murasaki Kiyohime planted under the front window of our home.....faces directly East.....it's short and weeping....a dwarf variety......went through a Summer from Hell and a similar Winter last year....she came through beautifully and is now fully leafed out and dense!

• jolj
    12 years ago

The red spider JM.

Here is a link that might be useful: red spider

• plantaholic186
    12 years ago

'Orangeola' is spectacular, year-round.

• chefandrew
    12 years ago

how would orangeola do in the kawartha lakes area sse exposure with summer sun until about 1 pm. It would be sheltered by the house, so cold winter winds would not be an issue.This would be our first japanese maple. And does anyone know where I might purchase one in southern Ontario.
    Thank you

• MrMiagi48386
    12 years ago

chefandrew ...... don't know about the J. maple that you are refering to but after purchasing and losing a variety of J.maples, the one that stands out for hardiness is J.M.'Bloodgood' for our area. I'm just across the river from you north of Detroit. I planted a Bloodgood in front of my house 30 years ago and its beautiful every year. South-west exposure.

• chefandrew
    11 years ago

thank you for your advice

• randoreagle
    11 years ago

How do you prune a crimson red Japanese Maple

• jt_1
    11 years ago

I have a collection of over 60 Japanese maples in my landscape. Here is a link to my photos on Flickr (spring photo tour). If I don't have the variety name in the photo, post a link to the photo and I will tell you which are pictured.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/72157632146151331/

An easy to grow (common) variety that stands up to full sun is:
    acer palmatum 'tamukeyama'
    acer palmatum 'garnet'

One that holds its burgundy color well in a shady spot is acer palmatum 'red filigree'

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maple Garden

• PRO
    MyLandscapes - Amir Schlezinger
    10 years ago

I grow Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in the UK in shade successfully (London)

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maple Advice

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?