Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A new Nitobe Garden

Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 04 at 15:58

Work will soon begin on a new Japanese garden at the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria, B.C. TheVictoria-Morioka Friendship Society and the Vancouver Island Health Authority are involved and the new Garden is to be named the Inazo Nitobe Memorial Garden. Dr. Inazo Nitobe was a most distinguished and respected international statesman who died at the Royal Jubilee Hospital in 1933 after becoming ill while attending a conference in Banff, Alberta.

There will be two main designers. One will be Paul Allison, whose career includes working at Oxford University's Botanical Garden & who now teaches for several months each year at Tokyo Agricultural University and Seibold University in Nagasaki. The other will be Takashi Fujimura, a well-know designer from Morioka. Interestingly, there is, for Mr. Fujimura, a family connection - his grandfather took part in the original dedication ceremony for Dr. Nitobe's memorial stone, which was placed in the hospital grounds. The new garden will include this memorial stone.

One of the aims of the new garden design is that it should be therapeutic for patients, visitors and hospital staff.

I think it will be interesting to watch the progress of the garden construction. Meantime, here are some pictures of what the site looks like now.

Click here to see the 'before' pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A new Nitobe Garden

Herb, I remember enjoying your set of Nitobe I photos that compare the garden years ago and now. I hope you will follow the development of this garden, too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here