Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Pruning

Posted by sempervivacious VIC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 16:39

Is there a name for the art of pruning large trees in Japan? Is there a good text available which includes details of the Japanese style of large tree pruning, particularly with regard to pine trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Pruning

I recommend The Journal of Japanese Gardening. It has pruning articles in almost every issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: JOJG.

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 23:30

Hi
It isn't timely,but some of you might want to know it.
Pruning is "sentei" in Japanese. Under big word of pruning, thining < Sukashi in Japanese>,sharing < karikomi in Japanese > and include "nenshi". nenshi is one of method that twisting new growth to controle new growth of fruit tree such as apple. Giveing mild damage/mild stress to newly developing twigs will help to produce more fruits.

What you are asking is Sukashi/ thining . Many of pruing of trees and shurbe in Japanese garden are thinning. Without using growth controle chemical, removeing many leave slow down growth and maintain natural look. It is very important to maintain good propotion of size of garden and size of trees beside many other benefits of pruning.

mike y

o

• Posted by cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 10, 06 at 9:17

Thinning (sukashi), shearing (karikomi) and twisting (nenshi)... Is there a category for root pruning, too?

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 17:57

Hi all
Cady
Japanese gardeners in Japan, they use "Enpi" which is like spade/shavel, shape like poucher's spade of England made. Japanese enpi's steel is thiner,hard and light. Befoe root prune,they shapen spade, sharp enough to cut off your toe. Root prune is good way to control growth without chemicals< growth regulator> . I use growth regulator offten to contole unwanted fruits of tree,make more fruits,dence growth or simply control new growth.

Some garden has irrigation pipes, lighing wire, phone and cable wires all over the garden. If I worked long enough to know all under ground wires, irrigation,water ,gas pipes then I root prune. (One more codition, If customer wiiling to pay ^ ^. ). Some treee lose it's beauty if pruned. Type of tree or shurb,size of garden and thickness of custoer's wallet will dectate root pruning.

mike y

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here