Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enyardreems_gw

Rain chains for the rest of us.....

enyardreems
19 years ago

OK, I saw one, now I am obsessed. I am going to have one. The first one will be with simple household aluminum funnels and a drill, just for experience. Any thoughts?

Then I am going to use all the broken wind chimes I have to make the brass one....I love the one with the stone cups and beads.

Terry

Comments (18)

• Herb
    19 years ago

Terry - I agree with you that rain chains are very attractive. I like too the idea of a ground-level, gravel-filled gutters to catch the run-off (or is that run-down?) All sorts of things seen to work for a rain chain - even lengths of old rope, though I don't know how long rope might last.

Edzard has written some things rain chains that rather surprised me -

"the question still remains, lantern proportion and, patenting so that lanterns that arrive at the dock in containers are an infringement of patent rights.....
    Rainchains went the same way... oh by the way. Now they can not be made in China anymore, along with the gutters and so on... "

and later in the same thread, Edzard wrote - "rainchains are an example, in which the original manufacturer declines making them for reasons of copyrights and patents held now by others......yes, they've succeeded in intimidating the manufacturers.
    The question is whether they will now succeed with lantern manufacturers as they have for rainwear."
    (see http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/jgard/msg0611204415716.html)

It would still be extremely interesting to learn exactly what rainchains (and lanterns) are involved and the identities of their manufacturers.

There's another thread that might interest you too -

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/jgard/msg101421114551.html

• enyardreems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yikes, don't want to open that can of worms again....I'm still going to make one.
    And yes it would be interesting to know the whole story there.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Terry
    Rain chain is one thing. Draining water from roof is another.
    Plese don't forget rain water have to go to some where . Do you have any idea how to drain water from roof ?
    Making/Creating rain chain is 10~ 20 % of whole work. takeing care of water is 80% or more of the work.

Before you jump, think of it. :): ) :)

Herb:
    You are allways trying to help others. I am glad that your are retired and have time for others. Without you many peoples sink into occian befor reach to other side of land. when I retired I will do same as you are doing now.
    mike

• bambooo
    19 years ago

What happens with rain chains when there is cold weather?
    Do they accumulate enough ice build up to break or tear free from the eaves? I have seen ice form on downspouts and rip them apart.

• Gardener_KS
    19 years ago

I have a rain chain, and--yes--I have to be cautious when ice starts to build up. Although the iced-up chain has its own beauty, I do crack off the ice once when it starts to build up. My rainchain is on the South side of the house, in a sunny location, so the metal warms up a bit (unlesss is really frigid), and that helps.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

Aren't there rain chains that are more open in design and a bit more sturdier for winter months? I'm not sure where I saw something like that; I may be mistaken.

-Audric

• Gardener_KS
    19 years ago

Mine is the open double-circle style, and it still becomes a great icicle. I would imagine the cup styles would even more quickly become a drag on the eaves or guttering.

• crashboxsus
    19 years ago

Even unburdened rain chains are awfully heavy; make sure your regular eaves/gutter can hold one, and reinforce if necessary. My sister has had holes in her gutter for rain chains and even placed pots full of rocks in the ground, but has yet to hang any due to concerns about them pulling her gutters off. And she lives in Oregon, where they don't get much ice.

I agree with Mike as well, you have to plan on where the rain will go. There's a reason that gutters and storm drains take the water AWAY from your house... (I just paid multiple 1000's of buckaroos on drainage problems in my basement so it's a bit of a tender subject with me :))

• Gorfram
    19 years ago

One could address the icing problem by hooking the rain chains up to the gutter-heating system :) :) :)
    (On a BIG ol' GFI circuit, and a BIG ol' power bill budget :)

- Evelyn

• yama
    19 years ago

Evlyn
    Aren't you gald you live warmer area ? They have to move to Oregon or Georgia .....hehehehe

• DonPylant
    19 years ago

Since I am foolish enough to have moss as a ground cover in an area with water high in calcium, I have installed a rain water harvest system. The rain chain terminates into a ceramic pot. The pot has a layer of filter foam similar to window air condition units. This is covered with a layer of gravel, then Mexican beach pebbles. The bottom is open and siliconed over a 3" pvc drain fastenend to the bottom of the deck. All this good water drains into a poly tank under my house. Just started so I will have to see how well these filter pots work. It looks good anyway!

• maggie_lin
    19 years ago

Hi everyone, why Japanese rain chains now could not be made in China? I'm puzzled:)

• Gardener_KS
    19 years ago

Maggie, welcome! Quite a few of us here are also interested in plants and garden styles from China. What part of China do you live in?

I was wondering the same thing...about rain chains not being made in China any more. Anyone have more info about why not? Also, I don't recall seeing them actually used in China. Maggie, maybe, you can tell us whether they are used in some areas of China.

• Herb
    19 years ago

I'm still puzzled too! Edzard never did explain who had managed to get a patent on rain chains & had intimidated manufacturers in China from making them.

My puzzlement deepened when I found this web site that advertises rain chains - and describes one of its chains as being 'Assembled in USA from imported components'. I wonder from what country they are imported?

Here's a quick link to it (and in case that doesn't work, this is the URL) - http://www.outdoordecor.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-RN3117.html?E+scstore

Click here to see the rain chain site

• Herb
    19 years ago

There are two interesting-looking rain chains in this picture -

• Gardener_KS
    19 years ago

Yes. they are interesting. So is the severely trimmed tree mid-right. Anyone know what it is?

• ScottReil_GD
    19 years ago

From bark color and what detail I can get of the leaf I'm guessing Carpinus...(hornbeam)

Sponsored