Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franvaz7

Vandalism

FranVAz7
19 years ago

I finally got courageous enough, and temporarily secure-feeling in my job, to take a little over two weeks off earlier this month for a vacation trip to London. I worked hard to make sure my garden was in good enough shape to withstand two weeks of just basic care. A Japanese tour group was coming the first day of my vacation, but I had the place ready for them. What I didn't count on was that some idiot would dump a whole giant economy size bottle of dish detergent into the top of the waterfall that first day, barely a few hours before the tour group was due. So much for security cameras (pointing the wrong directions) and security checkpoints (none actually in the garden itself). The worst part is that it had to be either a member of the security or maintenance staff, since it was early in the morning. (Horticulture is there at that hour too, but everyone was accounted for elsewhere, busy with their own morning tasks.) Evidently, it was a heck of a job to clean up, and I probably lost all my lotus and waterlilies. I'm told it was a good thing I wasn't there, as I probably would have gone nuts. I spent all Thursday, my first day back, doing residual water cleanup. Now I have to distrust people in other departments as well as my own (I still half-suspect one of the other gardeners, but that's another story). It's bad enough dealing with the rock-throwing school groups running roughshod all over, and the adults often aren't much better.

On the other hand, almost all the fish survived, my co-workers hauled a$$ to put things right, and the museum director is pleased with how I'm maintaining the garden. Now if only it would get cool enough so I could start working on all my pines!

Fran

Comments (7)

Sponsored