Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese garden tree (fast growing shade)

Posted by Cypher1 Los Angeles (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 17:35

Im looking for a nice shade tree i can use for a japanese garden besided a japanese maple. Something without too many seeds or nothing dirty. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese garden tree (fast growing shade)

An evergreen oak?

o

I was thinking of a Trident Maple or a Chinese Pistache. What ya think?

o

Both are deciduous and the maple produces lots of winged seed pods. Evergreens will not be so messy, though I find pines to be messy with their leaf drop. One I was thinking of is the Chinese Cork Oak. Check the wiki below.
But there are other species as well. What I like about this oak is that it appears to be a fairly open shade that will allow an acceptable amount of light to the ground below. It is not too messy and it has a very interesting texture of bark, in case you enjoy hugging your trees!! (couldn't help that!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Cork Oak

o

Actually i was looking for something a bit smaller. Maybe not so much shade. lol Something that will look nice in a japanese garden next to some japanese maples

o

how about some shrubs?

o

I will get shrubs too but i need a tree for some shade. Preferably a evergreen besides a pine.

o

What kind of tall skinny shrubs can i get?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 13:56

Broad-leaved evergreens tend to be send with substantial persisting litter beneath them just like coniferous evergreens. Deciduous trees, on the other hand usually have one big dump of leaves in the fall, with such quantities of litter not being seen the rest of the year.

Have a look at the table of trees for garden and patio use in the plant selection portion near the front of the Sunset Western Garden Book. There are also books on Japanese gardening and garden plants in print, that discuss typical choices of trees and other plants for this type of gardening.

o
Correction

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 13:58

"Send" was supposed to be "seen".

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 23:57

Various species of Podocarpus such as gracilior, macrophyllus, latifolius would all work nicely, and are much less messy than a pine species. An Atlantic Weeping Cedar might also look good with the maple. A Mayten tree could a_lso be nice...

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 16:36

Crape Myrtle, Wax Leaf Myrtle, or Red Bud, all can be a large shrub or a small shade tree.
Their are many shrubs like Snow Ball Tree, Camilla, Banana Shrub if you want large flowering shrubs.

o

My choice would be Kousa Dogwood. Excellent tree growing to about 20 to 25 feet. Beautiful flowers (bracks)(don't know if i spelled that right) in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here