Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner Bonsai

Posted by Timoson none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 7:25

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to bonsai, but very interested in it. I wanted to ask if anyone of you can give me some information of websites or books that are good for beginners that are about bonsai's. I would also like to ask which bonsai's are good for beginners to start with?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner Bonsai

Bonsai techniques I & II by John Naka are THE best books to get. They are kind of hard to find, but totally worth it.

Buy these two books, tools & equipment, and lots plant material to experiment on and have a blast.

These are not coffee table books, get those from the library to look at. These books are for learning how to actually DO bonsai. Classics.

Don't buy from amazon as you will overpay. If you search around, you should be able to find them for about $50 each.

o
RE: Beginner Bonsai

Step 2, visit a local club and join it. Most clubs meet at least monthly and usually have raffles or door prizes where newbies can pick up plants for cheap or free. You'll also meet folks who LOVE Bonsai and can get you on the right path. You can probably find a local club on the internet or the local newspaper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here