Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What groundcover can I use to replicate the scene in this image?

Posted by rinomanfroni Z8a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 9:11

Hello you all!

I live in Dallas TX, and I am planning to build a Japanese garden in the back yard. I already planted my Bambusa Multiplex "Alphonse Karr" by the back fence, and now I am planning on completing the garden with lots of rocks, big mounds of dirt, and gravel. Plus a little artificial river that will end into a koi pond.

This is the problem, however. I would like to recreate the effect of these dirt mounds covered with those ground covers as it is showed in this picture I found on the internet. I would like to recreate this here in TEXAS, and I know it is going to be a challenge.

Can you suggest a plant that would thrive in full sun (because this ground cover will be facing the South of the garden), that will also withstand the "exceptional drought" that Texas has been going through lately? I will obviously water the garden with a sprinkler system.

Other plants that are going to be part of the garden (that I already ordered) are the following:

3 plants of Sequoiadendron giganteum ' Pendulum '
1 plant of Weeping Cherry Snow Fountain Prunus x 'Snofozam'
3 plants of Weeping Cherry Tree Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula'
1 plant of Thuja occidentalis 'Woodwardii'
1 plant of Ann Magnolia Tree
1 plant of Cinnamon Fern
1 plant of Chinese Lantern Plant
1 plant of Hydrangea, Glowing Embers
1 plant of Hydrangea, Freedom

I need a groundcover!

Rino.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What groundcover can I use to replicate the scene in this ima

That looks like some kind of clipped evergreen, maybe boxwood. High maintainence!

You might be able to get some kind of similar effect with thyme, or some kind of sedum, tho they wouldn't be evergreen. I've seen thyme used in several public Japanese gardens, tho not to that effect.

You could try a groundcover juniper of some sort, that would grow in the sun and not need clipped. Moss would work, if you get the sun-loving kind.

o

That is so lovely. I would check with a texas extension service,they might be able to help. Or go on line to search heat tolerant mosses or other ground covers. Paula

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 11 at 8:55

Will Japanese Holly, Illex crenata, 'Convexa' grow where you live? It needs summer water to do well. I takes to shearing better than Boxwood in my experience.
Here's some in my Zone 8 garden near Seattle.
Mike
Crocagator

o

Oh pooh. Show off! LOL! I love it! Did you use a form for shape or is it all free hand? How long did it take to get to that size and how often do you clip it? Truly a work of art!

Sandy

o

Maby post this on the moss forum If anyone could help it would be them. Also a ground cover forum. Good luck. Paula

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 6:32

The 'Groundcover' in the picture is probably Azaleas. In Japanese gardens they are usually clipped like Boxwood for shape.
The Crocagator was started from cuttings three inches long.
I grew them in a bed until about a foot tall. I then dug a ditch in a lizard shape and planted the Japanese Holly. No frame. About thirty plants and I trim it three times a year in the summer with an electric trimmer.
I should have made it longer. It grows wider, but not longer, so it appears it's getting fatter and fatter all the time. It's about 25 years old.
Did you read the caption?
Mike

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 23:56

It is great!! You are way ahead of any thing I have done in forming a plant/plants into a animal shape.

o

I have found this groundcover online that might work really well! It is called "Delosperma nubiginum" and it looks like little cute grass that even blooms in late Spring! I just need to find somebody who sells these babies by the flat and in large quantities!

o

rinomanfroni ..... for excellent advise on J.Gardens in Texas, go to http://japanesegardening.org/talk/index.php
The mod/owner of the site, Don is from Texas and would give you excellent advice.
The ground cover that your pic shows i'm sure are azaleas
as stated by another member. I may be wrong, but they won't survive in your area and drought a sure death nell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here