Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gorfram

Dogs, J. gardens, and real life

Gorfram
19 years ago

The good news is that IÂm going to be moving up from my 50 sq. ft. balcony garden to an approximately 144 sq foot back-of-the-condo courtyard garden (moving up a zone to 8b, more space, more sun, real dirt, a hose bib and a drain right there at hand, and *no* weight limit short of soil compaction: Yippee! :)

The bad news is that the garden must continue to serve as the primary site for a 70 lb Doberman to relieve himself. (ItÂs my sisterÂs condo, which I will be sharing with her; and her dog, whose eventual détente with my cat will be another problem to solve upon moving :)

This puts me in mind of the adjustments and compromises needed to create something like a traditional Japanese garden in our modern, non-traditionally Japanese, western homes and lives. I can envision the curving stretch of white-gray gravel, the $6,000 moss-covered Kasuga lantern, the sevenÂto-nine largish rocks and the five-to-seven ferns surrounded by the mossy earth that would be perfect in this courtyard, but that ainÂt whatÂs gonna happen.

Fido would cause discoloration of the white gravel, $6,000 anything is not an option, and neither Sis nor I have the health and strength to go around placing large rocks with impunity (the ferns, however, are quite do-able and will probably happen:)

My initial plan is to arrange everything from my existing balcony garden still in its containers such that they should be mostly safe from canine depredations; and to start removing the less attractive bits and encouraging the more attractive bits of the ground-coveresque weedy stuff already growing there. Meanwhile, I'll observe both the dog and the sun to see which parts of the courtyard they get to.

Eventually I think IÂd like to put a raised bed along the back (south) wall of the garden, with some kind of elegantly s-curved wall facing the condo, leaving about half the unpaved space at ground level in doggie-durable groundcover. Ferns, some rocks, a small tree or two, and the flowering plants an undisciplined American canÂt entirely resist, would go into in the raised bed.

Thoughts? Ideas?

What compromises do others find themselves making between traditional Japanese gardening and Life As We Know It?

- Evelyn

[FWIW: The condo is in Edmonds, WA, just north of Seattle and 3 mi from Puget Sound: definite maritime influence (USDA zone 8b; Sunset 5)

The courtyard is approx. 12 x 12 ft, with condo building on north, 6 ft. wooden fence on south, east & west (IÂm hoping the blacktop parking lot on the other side of the south fence will yield a little extra warmth). North, condo-adjacent half is paved in concrete with exposed aggregate. A sliding glass door opens onto courtyard from kitchen/dining area.]

Comments (7)

• inkognito
    19 years ago

It is very likely that a 70lb Doberman will 'produce' mounds equal in size and shape to those recently examined here and on the cover of JOJG so there is no way that I would interfer with the product or the producer, you too may have to turn your attention elsewhere for the time being.

• Gorfram
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL, Inky :) :) :)

All the Dobermans I have met (sample size = 2) have proved, once proper introductions have been made, to be problematic mostly in their unshakeable belief that Dobermans are lap dogs :)
    Yuppie, the Doberman in question, dearly loves to play the role of teddy bear for one's afternon nap. He is also quite geriatric and feeble, and one of my moving-related fears is that my cat may prove to be more than a match for him.

Mounds are of a size easily, if not pleasantly, graspable by a hand sheathed in a plastic grocery bag (two bags for the squeamish), and of a shape not so much like tanamono as like some of my least favorite English "spiral" topiary styles.

That said, I acknowledge that a garden may not prove possible given the canine constraints, but can hardly help but try :)

- Evelyn

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Eveyln
    I have a thought:
    grow vegitable as weeds to cover grounds, Dog like to eat fresh green too, and if dog step on or eat it ,pee on it , you can pick some fresh green too you,your sister a dog and a cat are going to share a samll Heaven . rape green( na no hana in Japanese), chines chive, Shiso , annual rye grass, small radish , mastard etc
    any seeds which are cheap and easy to grow.
    for you and your sister, Have a tea olive/ Osmanthus tree
    it will bloom twice a year hevenly good fregrance.
    not only you, neighbors also can enjoy it...
    Enjoy what you have now and Be Happy..............
    my 2 cents .....................mike

• Herb
    19 years ago

Evelyn - Just take care that people visiting you don't start to discuss the question of whether a Dog has "Busho" nature of Buddha or not......

Herb

• Gorfram
    Original Author
    19 years ago

LOL, Herb!

I believe that in that situation, the visitors might learn to what degree my *sister* lacks Buddha-nature long before I could get my sandals onto my head :) :) :)

- Evelyn

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Herb and Evelyn
    I could not stop laughing for a while. :):) :)
    hope dog has Christian name. hehehe
    mike

• Gorfram
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I like your idea of growing veggies as weeds very much, and will use it in my garden plan :)

And what a lovely thought about me, my sister, a dog, and a cat sharing a small Heaven. Just thinking of that will make all the mundane work of sorting and packing for the move much easier: thank you so much :)

- Evelyn

Sponsored