Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Zoysia Tenufolia (Korean Velvet Grass)

Posted by Alyss Z 10 CA Coast (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 18:03

FYI: I'm in coastal So. Cal, near Laguna Beach.....
I purchased a large amount of Zoysia tenuifolia (Korean Velvet Grass) sod this summer and last. Last year, almost none of it survived the winter rains. It went "dormant", got taken over by weeds and moss, and never recovered. I had to rip it all out and replace it.
I don't want the same thing to happen this winter, but I have been unable to find specific care instructions on Southland Sod's website or on the internet. It has been too warm here for dormancy so far(coolest: 60F), and it already has a bunch of dead, brown patches. I have no idea what is wrong....Fungus? Bugs? Over-watering? Under wAtering? WHO KNOWS? (Hopefully you guys!)
Any tips or info on care instructions, including fertilization strength and schedules, potential pest problems and troubleshooting information would be very, very much appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Zoysia Tenufolia (Korean Velvet Grass)

Try one of the hybrids like Emerald Zoysia. Do not use one of the drought tolerant varieties. I assume you have decent drainage. Although zoysia is somewhat shade tolerant, are you getting enough sun? Spread whole ground corn meal (feed store for about $6 bag) at 2 or 3 lbs per 100 square feet and water in to prevent most turf fungus problems. Apply beneficial nematodes if grubs are present. Are you mowing?

Under watering in evident when the grass appears grayish green and stays down after walking on it. Buy yourself a pair of the blue-blocking sunglasses. These make dry spots stand out like crazy.

Forget the fertilizer until you have seen some growth unless you are on some really bad soils. Use soil stimulators like Medina Plus or organic lawn starters.

Good luck!

o
RE: HELP! Zoysia Tenufolia (Korean Velvet Grass)

Mission Viejo CA:

I have a large area of Korean grass, which I installed as sod over three years ago and when it is green and healthy it is beautiful. However, I continue to get brown spots, some grow to very large areas. I have treated in the past for Grub problems and have used commercial fungicides with some success. I read the suggestion regarding "Cornmeal" for fungus and I am interested in trying this for the brown spots, question, and not a joke. Is there a possibility that I might end up with a stand of corn in my lawn? I have struggled with this lawn since installing and have done everything and I think of except beat it with a stick to control these brown spots which show up late spring and summer so any help with be appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here