Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fallennobody

japanese ilex

fallennobody
9 years ago

I'm still learning about bonsai and i was wondering since Ive been fighting to get rid of these pests off my tree and when i finally did. it started to shrivel up. so i did what i saw before and watered it in hopes of it reviving and it's still shriveled up and looking just as sick as before. i got it from a bonsai vendor out here months ago (horrible choice to be honest) and now I'm hoping it's not time to say good bye to it especially since i even re-potted it due to the horrible cheap soil the guy used on it as well

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Was there a question buried in there somewhere? What kind of pests and how did you treat them? And how was the Ilex repotted (what kind of soil)? How have you cared for it? How long have you had it?

Only some answers to these questions and a photo of the plant can determine if it is dead or dying.

• fallennobody
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i've had it for two months and i repotted it like i was suppose to in bonsai soil it was originally in normal potting soil. as for the pests i saw mealybugs and scale inscects on them and i used a homemade solution i saw from another bonsai site to get rid of them of water dish soap and rubbing alcohol and sprayed it onto the tree. the mealybugs i learned had burrowed and made a nest inside the tree recently and managed to get rid of them for good but after that it wont stop staying shriveled up like in the photo and looks spotty and dead already. i just scraped part of the bark and its brown in most areas but the base of the tree...do i give up on it or do i keep trying to save it?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Probably dead.
    I doubt you can grow a Japanese Illex in Wyoming, indoors or out.
    Have you grown bonsai before?
    You live in a beautiful state. I'm familiar with a lot of it.
    Mike

• fallennobody
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i noticed when i was taking it out of the pot that there was a lot of healthy white roots and that a majority of it did die from the mealybugs and scale inscects on it...i live in cheyenne and this is my first one that i've tried raising and when i got it from this roadside vendor it was already infested with them when i got it and i couldnt take it back since the vendor was gone. so for a couple of months i've been trying to save it only for it to be butchered down really bad

Is it possible that there is a chance that it will survive at all then?

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I doubt you can save it if you keep it indoors, or suddenly put it outside during a Cheyenne winter. It's rated Zone 3, so if outside in the Fall it probably can handle your winter with a little time to acclimatize.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I see a dead stick in the above photo. Even if actually hardy there - for a time at least - Ilex crenata probably won't like the Wyoming aridity and alkalinity (in the valley areas where most people live).

In Hokkaido this can be seen growing in bogs with Magnolia stellata. I've seen a Japanese holly that came up on its own on what is probably a floating peat mat in a lake near here.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Thanks bboy! That explains something that has been bothering me for years.
    When I worked at a nursery years ago we planted some Ilex cuttings in a wet spot in the field and they didn't do well at all, so I assumed they didn't like a lot of water.
    I have a topiary 'Crocagator' of Ilex crenata, 'Convexa' planted on a slightly raised berm next to a small pond. The other side of the berm is lower than the pond and water seeps out from under the Ilex and yet the Ilex is going great guns and has for over 25 years.
    Drainage! The wet spot in the nursery was stagnant and had no drainage. Mine does. Now I can make sense of it and am no longer bothered. I'm feelin' kinda stoopid. :-)
    Thank you, again.

{{gwi:353966}}
    He's gonna be cut to the quick in the spring and I'm going to start over. He hasn't 'matured' well and needs a complete makeover. The stumps will sprout with vigor. Been there, done that.
    Mike

• fallennobody
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well that does explain why it did die and such but i restarted and have two beautiful new bonsai tho i am not sure what they are as well. any way that i can get an idea of what they may be?

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Posting a picture of them might help.
    Mike

Sponsored