Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Forest

Posted by Skyridgegarden z5 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 19:24

Recently I was at the Japanse Garden in Montreal. Out front they had a mini forest of trees. Can anyone tell me what is the best trees to use for this effect in Z5?

This may be well over my pruning skills, but I would like to try anyway. Also I am sure there is a better name than mini forest, so if someone can correct me please do.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Forest

Doesn't the Montreal JGarden have a collection of Bonsai and Penjing? -- could this be what you mean?

The Japanese term Yose-Uye is used to describe a (bonsai) Forest or Group planting.. am not sure of the specific Chinese word used to describe 'Forest style Penjing' :)

Junipers, trident maples and elms generally yield the quickest results -- while pines in a group planting can look magnificent, they also require more skill to establish the basic form (trunkline/taper/alternate branching/short internodes etc

Jack

o

The Yose-Uye was located outside the Bonsai collection. They were planted in the ground, not in a pot. They were pruned like Bonsai.

Is there anything written that may help me develop this look?

Jeff

o

Ahh, I see :) -- well, similar styling guidelines would apply in that case. There's a small book I'd recommend: Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai by Saburo Kato. It's published by The National Foundation, Inc (Washington DC).. and is distributed through Stone Lantern Publishing.

The library may also be a good place to start, as you can read many bonsai books and study the principles/aims of pruning in general, as well as how all this relates to Forest plantings

There are also a few bonsai forums on the net ( IBC and Bonsai Talk) including the one here on GW

Jack

o

I like the Ginkgo biloba in a grove. It gives you a change of seasons which is hard to find in Southern California. They are easy to care for and are beautiful in the afternoon breeze.
This grove I have had for 18 years.
Jack

o

Jack -- Have you tried tridents (Acer buergerianum ) for fall color in SoCal ? They may perform as well as the Ginkgos..

I recently moved up north to (sub-tropical) Brisbane, from cold Melbourne, and the trident cuttings I brought up with me show a lot of promise for the brief autumn/mild winter in this this warmer climate. This pic was taken in Brisbane last autmn

Jack

Here is a link that might be useful: Trident maple cuttings

o

• Posted by BoTann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 5:55

Do you mean something like this? It gradually fades back to a larger forest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sort of a mini forest

o

Hi,
This is a photo of my minature landscape of larch in there autimn colours,just copy and post this link.
http://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/larchautumn.htm
George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here