Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

Disturbing web site

yama
19 years ago

Hi All

time to time, I see incorrect informations are fed to unsuspected readers from some of web sites.

This is one of worst information . when you read articles in web site . please read carefuly.

Heian jingu was built Meiji 28 (1895) not 8oo AD

Kinkaji temple is known as temple of Jodo, pur land Buddhism

Real name of Kinkakuji is Rokuon ji temple . Sakya muni atained enlightment at "rokuon en"= deer garden. Kinkakuji temple is name after Deer garden. It has nothing to do with Shinto.

also I have many more query on this article.

http://www.trincoll.edu/zines/tj/tj4.4.96/articles/cover.html

Comments (4)

• edzard
    19 years ago

However, Mike...
    the effort is good.
    Perhaps not enough research or perhaps it is the spelling mistakes. Kinkakji is a representation of the mirror image, no? Was not Buddhism overlaid onto Shinto for acceptance? Are not these early Shinto values retained throughout Japanese culture?
    Is not the deer associated with the Kasuga cult.
    Perhaps she misunderstood 'Heian' as the time period of the building rather than name?
    shrug,..
    there is also the difference in stories of Susanoo-no-mikoto, the difference of slaying Amano-hahagiri [Vol.1 4th Appendix] or Yamata-no-orochi (section 8, first volume Jindai- Urabe Kanekata version of the Nihon Shoki)

"Yamata-no-orochi also covers eight hills and eight valleys and has trees on his back,... which is one of the original templates of the garden 8 valley-8 hill type, ?-> 8 pine basis for the tsukubai area]

back to Amano hahagiri, which is also now believed to be the basis for the rope/snake markings of the koshiki cooking pot of the Yayoi period as based on the ryuhebisama -> Oimi festival/Izumo shrine, - or biro/ajimasa/hoki is also representative of the snake belief.

Therefore was the dragon snake evil?

for an article it is quite good, simple, and like everything has room for improvement or further research. Being only an article, simple, I would still read carefully and ask whether the sources are correct or written/transcribed correctly.

a while ago, I found a rather old and seemingly accurate compilation of Japanese customs in English, handsewn rice paper etc.
    I asked a Japanese friend who was looking through it, if he thought if it was accurate... he smiled and commented, 'accurate? is it written in English? (or kanji?)' ... a rather telling remark...
    edzard

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Edzard
    Thank you for pesponding to my post .
    you quote " How ever efort is good"
    If 4 yaers old boy trying to help his Dad to clean up. His Dad will praise his 4 years old son's efort no matter of what look/result . Be course he is only 4 years old.
    If 12 years old son helping his Dad, Then Dad have to teach
    how to clean , what tool have use, how to use it safely effectively...
    even son's work is a little bit messy . Dad will say you did good job , but next time you do same job, pay attetion this and that.

18 years old son , old enough to be in manhood , Dad just give or point tools and tell him what to do...
    few hours latter Dad came back. work of his son did not meet Dad's standard . so Dad told him do it again , It is not good enough.... few hours latter Dad saw his son's work second time . Dad said do it better and do it again.
    after third time , Dad show him how to and give him hint how to do it. His son have to keep doing until he achive Dad 's high standard.

"Efort" is very important for 4 years old son. for 18 years old son "efort" is not so important or not good enough. result is the most important .

Perhape you trusted her information soley , and speak about shinto in public to others. if no one know what is shinto and Buddism then You can finish talking without any incedent. if few of peopls know what is shinto, asked you question of histrical fact. are you going to blame your self or blame some one who gave you wrong information ? ........................... mike

• edzard
    19 years ago

ah... good point - agreed,
    except...
    2 things,.. checking her personal site, she is trying, sortof, without trying hard enough (agreed), in an age where I have noticed very very few Japanese youth are even paying attention and it is enough 'wrong' that if they ask their parents, the parents will correct them, and they have learned 2 things.
    1) enough wrrong so that youth will go to parent, because it sounds wrong, but right, but??.
    2) ask parent, builds relationship, then realises parent knows alot, & might be worth asking again later.

I never believe articles.
    I'm beginning not to believe books either.
    I always question them both and research them myself, work through them for common sense or ask you questions, :)), (grin, then, then I blame you... just kidding.. I blame no one, just learn more)
    and since, from experience, having articles written about myself, writers have only short space 3 points perhaps, then got a lot wrong and most often can not quote me correctly either and then the editor has to make sound 'racy' when its boring like I really am.....

shrug...
    did you send her a kind note with corrections or asking her what her sources are???
    .....edzard

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Edzard

shrug...
    did you send her a kind note with corrections or asking her what her sources are???

Yes . I did but I do not expect any response from her. if she go back and reserch again, that will make me happy.

I am in midle of paper work , I will write you back later.
    .................................mike

Sponsored