Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scbonsai

Environmentalism in Japanese Gardens

SCBonsai
19 years ago

I stumbled upon the homepage for Dumbarton Oaks...

http://www.doaks.org/

One of their electronic texts, available as a PDF file, is entitled 'Environmentalism in Landscape Architecture', with one chapter 'Environmentalism in Japanese Gardens'

Some may find it interesting...

http://www.doaks.org/COENct.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmentalism in Japanese Gardens

Comments (4)

• FranVAz7
    19 years ago

Thanks for the reference. I'll check it out at work, since my home computer hates Adobe. I believe Dr. Kendall Brown, who has written extensively on the history of Japanese gardens in America, particularly the west coast, will be a visiting resident scholar at Dumbarton in 2005. I hope to be able to persuade him to give a talk on the subject at Hillwood.

Fran

• ScottReil_GD
    19 years ago

Very interesting; I was especially taken with the concept of tracking the details of J-garden design through waka poetry, what a great concept...

Does anyone know if the Taiichi Ito credited with this paper is Teiji Itoh, author of Gardens of Japan?

Inquiring minds etc., etc...

Scott

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Scott

Name of auther of the article and Teiji Ito is defferent person. when "Tanyou sho" was introduced to west, It was suporse to be spelled Tagyo sho. since book of Tuskiyama teizoden of English version was translated by Josiah Conder, it was the first introductly Japanese garden book in English to west. "n " and "g" are closely locate on key board , some one typed may not know difference.
    many coment on their article, you have to read very carefully. article do not explaing historical facts fully.
    Quate " During the eleventh century, when Japanese noble become conscious of thir own cluture ad they rid of Chinese influence....... at the time China and Japan did not have formal relation ship, however monks are went to china to study buddism. It wan't rid of chinese influence. all roof tile of thir Shinden was origianly came from China and Korea. If they wanted to rid of Chinese influence , they have to get rid of thir roof too :) :) : ). The article is portionly right but not all of it are right.
    misspell of "n " and "g " already coursed many confusion. we don't neet it no more .

I have to check my sepeling later too..hehehehe

I have to go to temple now. If you want know more , I will check my text book of Japanese history........... yama

• FranVAz7
    19 years ago

I finally downloaded and read the article. Lots of interesting stuff there that was really thought-provoking.

Fran

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths