Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ally77dano20

Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow

ally77dano20
9 years ago

We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft) now that we have some snow melting our Dwarf Japanese Maple Tree has some severe damage with quite a few major branches snapped off due to the snow which it had not lost it's leaves yet. It is about 17 years old (previous owner planted it) and it survived damage from a major snow fall back in 2001 (5 ft of snow but had no leaves it at the time) which it did bounce back, but this time has occurred much more damage. Is there a way to keep this (meaning how do I trim it for the snapped branches) or is it a lost cause and dig it up and start with a new sapling next spring? I love this tree and would rather save it rather than start with a new tree. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• ally77dano20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second picture

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Impossible to see how much damage occurred with the snowpile still blocking the tree and the leaves still in place. As carefully as you can, remove the snow and gently comb out the remaining leaves. Then, cleanly cut back any torn limbs/stubs to the next growth point. You can then report back with clearer photos or make your own decision as to save or replace. If the tree is very misshapen or the damage severe, you might want to consider replacing. The tree will fill out some but probably not to the same attractiveness or fullness it had before the damage.

Weeping laceleaf maples like yours are frequently prone to snow damage, leaves still in place or not. The dense, layered branching habits of these little trees is just very accommodating to accumulating pies of snow. In areas with heavy snowfalls, you will either need to prune to thin out the canopy or diligently remove the snow as it begins to accumulate to avoid the weight causing damage.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

wait until spring ... unless you can get it completely snow free to see what you are doing

cut out all damaged parts ...

post us a pic ... and we can THEN ... tell you how to prune it back into some nice form ...

pruning NEVER killed anything... nature done or man made ...

one thing for sure.. it wont look like it did before... so what ...

there is NEVER a hurry.. with trees ...

if there are parts.. completely broken off.. and you can get them out of there ... w/o doing more damage.. do so ...

ken

• ally77dano20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the replies and advice. My husband was able to clean it up with the advice given and thankfully we had some warm weather to assist. So now it can be seen the real damage but I think it may be saveable? I am worried of insects or infectious diseases getting to it now that it has many open areas on its branches from snapping off from the weight of the snow but I think that will be in the spring time to worry. I have some more pictures to follow this post from different angles. so the question now is: Can it be saved? If so should I prune now or wait till springtime to fix some of the damaged areas so not to have any further issues. Again thank you for your advice Ken and Gardengal48 :)

• ally77dano20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second picture after clean up

• ally77dano20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

third picture after clean up

• ally77dano20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fourth picture after clean up

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Personally, I would replace it. The damage is extensive and the tree will never regain a good form. Unless the tree has a significant attachment for you, I think you would be much happier replacing with a new, well-formed, undamaged choice, Especially if the tree is in a very conspicuous location, like by your entry.

If you do decide to keep this unfortunate little tree, make sure there are clean, almost surgical cuts, reducing the damaged portions to just outside the nearest growth point. The tree is well able to scar over or seal these wounds if properly tidied up to prevent disease or insect infiltration.

But I really don't think it is worth your effort :-(

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm