Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:

Posted by directorrod 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 13:04

I caught the Japanese maple bug two summers ago with my first tree purchase and have been blissfully JM crazy ever since. I presently have over 200 hundred trees of about 175 different varieties. I'm doing some grafting, growing seeds, and rooting cuttings. I've started my own list of cultivars that will root from cuttings. Are there more experienced JM lovers out there who have compiled more extensive lists of JM cultivars that will root from cuttings? I'd be most appreciative if you're willing to share it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:

I've gotten no responses from my original post, so here is my list of JMs that will root from cuttings to try to prime the pump:

Japanese Maples Grown From Cuttings

Adrian’s Compact
Arakawa
Autumn Moon (softwood)
Bloodgood
Julia
Kiyohime
Mikazuki
Nicholsonii
Osakazuki
Sango kaku
Shiraname
Shira Red (softwood)

Are there additional cultivars that can be added to this list?

o
RE: Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:

It's too bad you haven't had more responses. You may well be the Japanese maple rooting expert here haha

I want to chime in and say I have a Sango Kaku (on your list) that was a rooted cutting when I purchased it and it has grown very well for the two years I've had it.

I'm interested to know how your Autumn Moon cutting has grown if you have planted it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here