Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Mod Rocks?

Herb
19 years ago

To see them properly, you need to view this picture at its full size by clicking on it. The rocks seem to have been coated with something & the coating worked into a pattern complete with Japanese characters. I've never seen anything like it before - but I think the arrangement looks quite attractive. Can anybody give us more information? Mike?

Comments (10)

• kobold
    19 years ago

Herb, if I see it right, not the whole rock is coated (?), looks like these smooth shapes are sitting on some natural rocks.Or carved out from it. Your interesting postings are appreciated especially in this gloomy winter months.Who can solve the mystery?

Andrea

• inkognito
    19 years ago

At first I thought the stones were carved but then, on closer inspection it looks like the pattern is in the tar like coating. The stones stand in the grounds of a Zen Buddhist temple and I would guess that they are memorial stones or protection symbols in some way. Apparantly the founder of aikido studied here, is it a memorial to him I wonder?

• yama
    19 years ago

Herb
    stone is well polished black granite stone. Many grinite stone for monument are highly polished and if you look closely , you can see your own face on stone like mirror. I think photo is taken at Nichren shu ( shu= sect) temple. Two large kanji and small kanji gave me hint. Top large letter read as "Myo ho", part of Namu myo horenge kyo= Lotus sutra. Meaning of myho is wonderfull precept/teach .
    Small letters indicate name of disciple of Nichren shonin.

To polish flat granite stone is easy. But stones on the photo may take a month of polishing by well experienced craftmen and must be very expensive. (Black granite is imported, I am for sur that it is not Japanse granite)

Yama

Ps
    I am sending you a copy of chinese paint also photo of Buddha statue which is look like christian preast. ( regarding Oribe toro's christian statue)

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Inky
    It is not zen temple. It is Nichiren shu/sect Temple. Nichren shonin, founder of Nichiren shu called zen sect as nationaol enemy /natioal criminal. They did not get along for very long time. Sokka gakkai, line of Nichiren shu and zen sect Temples, They don't have good relation as of today. Sorry, Nichren shu donot,and didnot much of relation to Japanese martial art either.
    Please Don't take as ofence .........yama

• inkognito
    19 years ago

I am not offended mike, I only offered up my contribution as opinion based on what I had quickly read and my own observation, the intention was to open up a discussion about the rocks and not to give a definitive answer.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Ikny
    I am glad to hear it. when I write something on garden web, My English is always short of what I like to write. I do not have enough English vocabulary. My English learning is slow, very slow. But I can read Japanese well, and I am good at to finding informations you guys ask for.

You are the my denfender of critisum of my poor English :) :) :). .... once I copy chinese paint, I will send you one, I wish I can find who painted it and when.

yama

• DonPylant
    19 years ago

The landscape in the background suggests an appreciation of traditional styles. The bold stones and patterns jolt me. It makes me think of a tsunami of the ultra ancient and the ultra modern Japan culture.

Where was this photo taken????

• Herb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Don,

It appears to be in Kyoto - in a district(?) called Teramachi, and the particular place appears to be known as Homman-ji.

Herb

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Herb
    Can you make small black monument stone on right side bottom
    bigger ?
    The first line read as "Ishi Mandara" . I cannot read reast of it well.

My mother live Tera machi of Hachioji city , west of Tokyo.
    Tera= Temple, machi = town. Only 150 feet from my mother's home , There is Temple. I have not visit befor,but next time I visit my mother, I am going to visit the temple.
    There are four temples less than 10 minutes walking distance from my mother's home. No wonder place is called Tera machi.

The garden may be traditional Japanese Garden, but each garden is uniqe and different from other gardens. .... mike

• Herb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Mike -

I've e-mailed you an attempt at making the monument stone script a bit more legible, but I'm afraid much of it is obscured by reflections.

Herb

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living