Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for choosing Japanese plants

Posted by ryanmcgarth none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 5:42

Hello guys.
I am planning to make the garden in the backyard..got a little bit of space there..
so what i need to do.. many suggestions given to me ..
Any ideas ???
looking for a bit more help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for choosing Japanese plants

I just signed on to this forum but I'm sure this has been pointed out before:

How much space do you have?
What shape is it?
How much light does it get?
Is water an issue?

Could you post a diagram of what you have to work with?

My general experience with gardeners is that they will be more than happy to respond to inquiries if they have a good idea of what the question is.

o

I have a ten acre garden with a lot of Japanese Maples that I grew from seed. My garden is not Japanese, nor cottage. It's not an arboretum either.
What would you call it?
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden.

o

I posted in the wrong space above. should have started my own thread. Sorry.
Ryan, describe your space. Better yet, give us a picture from your back door or patio, looking out. Describe your design concerns.
Mike

o

You don't need Japanese plants to make a Japanese garden. At the Japanese garden I work, we have lots of US natives as well as plants from Europe.

Of course we do have Japanese maples of several varieties as well as some other plants from Japan. But I would suggest picking plants that work for area 1st and foremost.

If I had to recommend some plants though I would choose small evergreen shrubs (yews, boxwood, holly, etc), GREEN Japanese maples, and evergreen trees such as pines, falsecypress, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some great green Japanese maples

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here