Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help on garden gate design

Posted by MrNorth Sweden zone 1 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 04 at 17:37

Hiya again...

I have been thinking about various ways of designing the gate which will be the entrance to my backyeard... and the first thing people will see is the pond. So, I want to give the peope a "hint" that they are entering something which has a japanese inspiration. ANd I also want this to affect the gate itself. So, I have in paint created a rough sketch on what I planned to build. I definetly want it with a door, so the moon gates are out of the question...

Please check this image

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/full_1431_p21760.jpg

And make any suggestions and alterations you desire to (in your opinion) make it more like it would belong to a japanese garden. I have thought about making the walls with bamboo, but since the house and all its walls are "western style" it would be too much of a distraction.

And both the walls and the gate has a tiled roof which allow water to flow away.

I would be happy if you perhaps also can provide links to pages with pictures of similar garden gates...

thanks
Henrik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help on garden gate design

HI again... After spending about 1 more hour googling... I actually managed to find a rather useful link

http://www.woodsshop.com/kits1/kits1.htm

it includes some useful designs... And Im prettysure I can manage to build some of the simpler roof designs myself ;) Im a shitty carpenter, but I think I can manage this hehe

thanks!

Henrik

o
RE: Help on garden gate design

Henrik- I went through the same dilemma
Herb and others helped me out tremendously- you might want to check over on the gallery page for my original thread and see what happened

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: garden web discussion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here