Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Bowling Balls

bookjunky4life
11 years ago

My MIL each have acquired a bowling ball to paint and use as a gazing ball. Her bowling ball was free; mine was $1.00 at a garage sale. My husband suggested we clean them with mineral spirits before painting to get the wax off of them. I was going to paint with an outdoor paint and then do a gloss clear coat over that. The entire idea of this project is to keep it cheap. We have maybe $8 so far in each ball for spray paint. The problem I am running into is finding stands for gazing balls. We looked locally for concrete stands but found none. Resin stands at the ag store were like $40 and it appears most stands on the internet are in the $40-$60 range. We want ours to stand pretty tall, especially mine which will be in my flower garden. Any suggestions on purchasing or building a cheap stand?

Comments (18)

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Do you have a Christmas Tree Shops near you? They have the 36" gazing ball stands in their current flyer for $7.99

You may want to try other discount retailers - Ocean State Job Lot, Big Lots, etc.

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Rebar also works well. I don't think I would go over 3 ft with rebar though. Also, check prices on bird bath bases. They work well too (and sewer pipe!!). I have used all of these successfully.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We don't have any Christmas Tree Shops nearby. We looked at the concrete bird baths with the idea of putting the ball in the bath portion. Can you buy the bases separately?

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

I have one of my gazing balls on an old floor lamp stand and you can also use the frame from a ceiling fan for a lower one. Guess you could raise that one on some lumber or on an old table lamp.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Use a lamp base with a 'bowl' on top-
    I used a ceramic base with a brass bowl.

• Crafty Gardener
    11 years ago

I have a gazing ball on an old milk can, one sits on a flower pot and one on a stand I bought at Lowes.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Be sure to sand the surface with a fine grit sandpaper before you paint. If you don't the paint will bubble up. Just FYI.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info about sanding! I didn't think about a milk can, but I think I saw one or two in our shed.

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Sounds like you're having fun! Here's a link our our Garden Junk Inspirational Album that our friend, purplemoon, has created for us in the past...lots of BB's...you may see an idea for a stand...if not, enjoy the GJ decor! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspirational Album ...Bowling Balls

• luvs2click
    11 years ago

Watch the curb for bird bath bases - I've picked up 4 or 5 that way. The top breaks and people throw them out.
    Arlene

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I also have one on a BB base,and one on an old piece of crockery,and one sits on a turtle.The one on the turtle is the oldest one and i did it before i ever came here.It's done with the colorful bottle caps from flavored water and the rings that are below the top.It's getting pretty faded,so time to tear it apart and do something different.
    Kathi

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Not tall, but I've used a silverplate chafing dish base I picked up at our town yard sale.

• hostarhodo
    11 years ago

If you have a large plant pot or planter just flip it over and put the bowling ball on the bottom which becomes the top. How about a tree stump? Old astray stands. Large candle holders. Short stool or ladder. Very large pipe cut to lenght wanted. How about a broken shovel handle, of which I have many.A section of CB Tower with the ball at the top and clematis or roses growing up. And the list goes on.

Betty

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

Several small tomato cages wired together for strength with the "sides" spread out along the circle?
    That's what I plan on doing but haven't done it yet, like so many things. Could then put hardware cloth on the inside and slather with mortor mix, but that is another story!
    Kathy

• midwestgirl
    11 years ago

I used an old electric percolator with the lid removed. It stood about 18 inches high. Had handles on each side. Looked great in my garden.

• velvet_sparrow
    11 years ago

With the above ideas in mind, cruise local thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I've found a lot my BB stands that way! :)

Velvet ~:>

• chevy57red
    11 years ago

I have used the tall pillar candle holders.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in oil field country so I've found all sorts of neat oil field pipe and other miscellaneous farm junk (my FIL keeps everything) that I can use I think. My MIL also found a yellow bowling ball for $1 at a yard sale. I have yet to see it but if it looks good we'll just clear coat/polyrethane over the top and not even paint it.

Sponsored