Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasymo

Blooming chicken coop!!

tasymo
14 years ago

Here is a pic of my coop with the flowers blooming, as promised! There is a big sunflower there that will bloom later, and some zinnias that are just starting hidden amongst the other flowers. The chickens have, surprisingly, done very little damage, but they have the run of the yard when I let them out, so they've got LOTS of flowers to nibble on.

Kathy

Image link:

Comments (29)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Very pretty plants AND hens! Almost makes me wish to have chickens again.

Mine free-ranged around our house yard in the daytime and never did much damage to plants - seemed to prefer the slugs and bugs. Always had their afternoon siesta in the front flower bed near our house hidden behind the plants. Must have felt safe there. Of course I had to hose off the patio daily! Just one little fact of farm life! LOL

• katladie
    14 years ago

That is so awesome. I love the blooms. You must not have many bug problems with those free range hens.

Sharon

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

I'm so jealous I want "some girls"!!! Your floral trimmed coup is the flippin' Summer bomb!!!!!

• bigack
    14 years ago

Oh, what a neat picture, I love it, the whole thing!

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Awesome chicken house!!!! Beautiful flowers, and, like Susie, the photo of your birds makes me want a little flock of hens too. (We've toyed with getting chickens over the years, were too busy with horses while younger, and now fear that the hens would outlive us.)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Jeannespines said it all!!! Picture Perfect!!! Lovely!

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

Dear Tasymo:
    Thanks so very very much for sharing the RE~Freshing
    breath of F R E S H Country Air !!!!
    Man...Jeanne is correct ~ Like a Lovely Picture Perrrrfect
    Post card...

I'm even say'n Martha Stewart ~ Eat Your Heart out....

cause that is purrrty 'nough for a Magazine....
    " IT's a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Thang ! ! !"

Thanks for sharing ! It also reminds me of my days
    growing up at my Grandmothers Farm ! Man........
    oh Man...... Those were the days....my friends !!!!

With a super duper touch of ~ Expect to see a SIGN~ H O L L Y W O O D ~~~ Hills touch of CLASS !!!! F R E S H ~ COUNTRY ~ E G G S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless ! SusieSunshine
  • Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Aw look, the girls are admiring the flowers too, or is that a grasshopper for lunch? lol, I just love the colors. It's too adorable.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

You have the cutest hen house I have ever seen. The flowers look extra nice against the colors of the house. Love that the fence also has the painted wood trim. Luvs

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Not sure what is more beautiful, flowers or chickens!! Lovely pic!! Thanks! Jan

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

I love it! Those must be the happiest chickens around. I miss having chickens.

Donna in Florida

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Looking good!! And the girls are looking good too! Just keep them away from any hostas you might have...it's one of their favorites!!

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank Everybody, for the great comments! I've any of you are toying with the notion of getting chickens, I say- "GO FOR IT!!! They are more fun than I ever imagined!"
    I actually do have some Hostas, Marlene. They have taken a bite or two, but don't seem very interested in eating them. They have ruined a couple of newly planted ones by dust bathing on top of them though...

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Do you think it possible to have a chicken in a tiny yard like mine? I could make one of the mini houses I have a hen house. How much care and maintainence do they require. I dont want anything that has to go to the flippin VET. Dont get me started on the crooks that run the Vet Practices these days. I can not have a rooster because they cock their doodle in the morning at sun rise. Do they eat roses. Do they lay eggs without having a rooster around? Would two chickens be content to share the yard with two little dogs? We do not spray bug control in the yard because of the dogs. So I need some insect control. Can they fly over the fence?

• maggie4737
    14 years ago

That's so pretty! Makes me want to get a few hens.

• laurie143
    14 years ago

What kind of chickens do you have. We are going to get 4.
    Also did you buy plans for your small coop? I love it.

Thanks Laurie

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The coop is actually a wooden playhouse I got at Lowes on clearance, and converted. It is 4' x 4' and stands 6' at the peak. My hubby made a base for it with a plywood floor since it didn't come with a floor. I've got 6 chickens- 3 barred rocks, 2 isa browns, and 1 rhode island red. They all roost on a 2"x4" that runs across the peak. The run is 8' x 10' with the coop taking up one corner. If you are seriously considering getting chickens, I suggest you check out backyardchickens.com, where you can find out anything you'd like to know about 'em.

• nanagrandma
    14 years ago

Taysmo
    Ditto Ditto Ditto on everyones comments.

NanaGrandma

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Throw in a batch of "dittos" for me too.
    I'm just blown away by that photo.

SusieRose, how about a couple of the little banty chickens.
    They are cute, and tiny.
    By the way, my yard gets sprayed monthly (and the house) but the stuff he uses is totally animal safe.

hugs, Karen

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

OK - I admit - I've always wanted chickens running around my yard. They are such a country ICON. DH thinks I'm nuts and everyone tells me they will ruin my flower beds. Looking at your picture makes that suppressed desire even stronger - I WANT SOME!

Arlene

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Chickens are great fun to watch and fun to have around, but they are a little work...

Susie..you could get the bantams...very small and cute as buttons!

The hardest part for me has been when they do get sick...and having them die. You get very attached to them....just like cats and dogs.

But, as with all animals...they are worth the effort!!

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! I think I have that same welcome sign on my chickens gate. Does it have bells on it?(-:

• friesfan1
    14 years ago

Kathy,
    I love it. The colors are so appealing.
    Great job!
    Mary

• tasymo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Cindee. The welcome sign has bells hanging at the bottom. My Girl's certainly do welcome me when I come down to let them out of the coop in the morning! Even more so if I bring them treats!!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Love that photo & the chickens! ~tenderlee

• bamagurl
    14 years ago

Looooooooooove it.....Ok it is 4:25 in the morning and I am itching to go plant some flowers around my coupe that is just tooooooo cute....Lucky girls they are :)

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

How absolutely beautiful! I once saw a lady who had a "collection" of unusual breeds of chicken. She called them flowers because of their unusual coloring and quirky appearance. I thought her flock was beautiful, but seeing your not-so-odd chickens in that setting, you've got the chicken collector beat out by a mile!

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

We used to buy eggs from a woman who worked with my husband, and the eggs were a wide variety of sizes and colours, some were speckled. I just loved the rainbow collection of eggs! The hens were the woman's two daughters' 4-H project and when I asked, she provided the names of the various breeds of chickens. (She asked her daughters and they provided the names. The girls were the chicken experts. The mom was the marketting person. lol)

I love your red hens, Kathy, and if I ever do decide to acquire chickens, some or all will be red. But I liked the mix of types that produced the multi-color, multi-size eggs, so maybe I would get birds not all of a feather.