Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

How do you say?

goodkarma_
18 years ago

Here is a dictionary site that has the correct pronounciation of Koi terms and names. This is how I found out that Gin Rin sounds like "Geen deen" and not like an adult beverage. lol

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi dictionary

Comments (11)

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Lisa, Thank you for the site. I see that it is the same site that you used in another post where you pointed out one mistake. I looked under the genealogy tab on the right corner and in there pictures they have two pictures that don't appear to match the fish discription. What are the two mistakes?
    Mike

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmm..... (I only have a minute because I am frying chicken for my husband and I only deep fry food about once a year) but what jumps out to me is that the ki utsuri, ki matsuba, and ki bekko should look yellow,(but I just think the colors of the chart are more red) the budo goromo should have the grape pattern over white skin- but other then that ???? So- what are the mistakes?

How long does it take to deep fry chicken BTW?- I keep checking it. lol

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Lisa, I think we are looking at two different pages. If you go to the link you posted than go to the right hand top of page and click on genealogy that will take you to the page that I am talking about. There are 26 pictures at the bottom of that page with the varieties names on them. That is where I am talking about. I could be mistaken but I thought that a goromo the grape pattern should be over the red and not the white and the white should be white.
    Mike

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike- Yes, I was looking at the wrong chart- the geneology one. In that one the budo goromo pattern looks like it is on blue skin, and not on white. But as for the other page- I looked and did not see the mistakes. What are they?

Lisa (koi novice).

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Lisa, The first one is the picture of a Ogon. An Ogon is a solid colored fish that is metallic. The picture there looks like an Ochiba Shigure. An Ochiba Shigure is a brown and gray fish. Commonly called autumn leaves because in warm water the gray darkens and it is hard to see a difference between that and brown. But when the water gets cold in the autumn the gray lightens up to light gray and brown thus the name autumn leaves. They stay like that until the water warms again. They are not much to look at in the summer but are very beautiful in the fall, winter, and spring. The other mistake is the picture of an Ochiba Shigure where they have a red and white fish.
    Mike

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Very interesting- thanks Mike. This spring one of the forum members is visiting Hanover Koi pond- and I get to go too :) I will get to see lots of Koi varieties in person. To date most of the Koi I see are on line, or in books. I did get to see some at a hotel pond in Oahu- but I hardly knew what I was looking at. Can you post some pics of your Koi when it warms up? I would love to see them.

Lisa

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Lisa, Sure I will. I will look around before than and see if I have any digital pictures that I can post. You would probably really enjoy seeing a koi show. Where about do you live?
    Mike

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Lisa, Here is a picture of one of my Kohakus that is in my pond. This picture was taken I believe in 2003. The fish at the time was about 2 years old and about 22" long.

• mike_il
    18 years ago

I am sorry lisa that I didn't get the picture posted in the last post but here goes again

Mike

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

Ooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

That is a very handsome fish!

C3D

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike this fish is very beautiful. From book and internet knowledge I would say the confirmation is very good, and the beni is very uniform, with a very nice pattern, and very nice shiro (how am I doing so far? lol). Also I notice that the beni does not extend over the eyes. I am guessing this is a female? Can you tell us who the breeder is?

I will be happily waiting for the next pics. :) BTW- I live in the Akron area- nearest Koi clubs are in Dayton and Columbus.

Lisa

Sponsored