Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New ponder, very shallow pocketbook

Posted by mrsjunque 9, Ctrl FL (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 12:09

I've been reading some postings here and on other forums, and I've found everyone to be very informational!! So, that being said, I figured I'd take my situation to ya'll "experts". I have an approximately 200gal cattle trough that I use as my "pond". Due to old tree roots, my backyard isn't suitable for an inground pond, plus there is entirely too much heat and sun in the middle of summer. So, my trough sits under my bedroom window, which is nice for the soothing sound of the water. Here's my problem(s):
-I have 4 koi babies (well, more like teenagers by now-about 4-5" long) that we've had since last summer. I've been told that they will only grow as large as what contains them-is this true??? I'm afraid they'll grow too big for the trough, and I'll have to splurge big money on a new home for them!!
-I use a submersible pump inside of a housing with 2 layers of filtration media plus the little balls in the bottom. I have 1 water lilly, dwarf papyrus, corkscrew rush and 2 other water plants I can't name. However, every 3 months or so, I have to change out the water due to the sludge. Should I just get a sludge extractor?? Does it stress the fish when I change their water?? Or does it stress them to have yucky water??

I guess, bottom line is should I give up on the trough and suck it up and build a bigger pond with better filtration?? It's tough dealing with filtration issues in the hot summertime, and I don't want my fish to outgrow their home.

All help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New ponder, very shallow pocketbook

I am also a new pond owner. I have a 100 preformed pond on my patio with block stacked around it. I have 6 4" koi in my pond, Its only been set up about a week and I would love to hear some of the answers to your questions.

o
RE: New ponder, very shallow pocketbook

Koi will adapt to thier surroundings including the size of thier pond. Unfortunatly you will not see your Koi get as large as they can due to the size of your pond, but you don't need to worry about them outgrowing thier container. I would not recommend anymore fish though! You may be overstocked now. The heat there makes it tough to keep clear water. Sounds like you may need a better filter if you are having a bunch of sludge. Is your housing inside the trough or outside? Is the sludge settling on the bottom or is it mixed with your water? Your main concern is water clarity. If your water is clear your fish should be ok. Try some more cover if the water is murky. SOme floaters or another iris or even an umbrella placed to give some partial shade should help. If you have a picture I could get a better idea of what you need. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here