Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starfyre

my babies :)

starfyre
17 years ago

I've had a butterfly koi for a year now. Started out a a bargain find at petsmart - got shipped in with a bunch of comets - $3.99! Not a perfect fish, but sure pretty to watch swim in lazy circles.... Silly thing jumped from the pond so now its in rehab tank inside while it's tail heals (gravel damage to tail! how long will it take to heal??)

Also in rehab/iso tank is two new little guys I got this week. A yamabuki ogon and a karasugoi (satiny black with yellow belly, am I right on IDing that one?) A platinum ogon is coming - same size and sparkle as the yamabuki just pure white, its head it a slight touch silvery.

Just wanted to show off my little friends. Their temporary outdoor pond is cycling now - just cleaned and revamped and waiting for it to warm up a few more degrees outside. We'll break ground on the 1500 gallon one later next week - yay!

{{gwi:1011851}}

{{gwi:1011852}}

{{gwi:290301}}

Comments (2)

• putter4ever
    16 years ago

I use to work at a pet & feed store where we would carry koi seasonally, and I too wound up with a bargain butterfly koi (Charlie) well I already had an Orenji Hariwake who was a little bigger than him and a few little pretty comets, any who "someone" started nipping Charlie's tail and next thing I know half his tail is gone. It grew back there was some scarring, a little bump where it grew back. That wasn't the last time either, at one point I thought I was going lose him, the next time his whole tail was gone, yet again it grew back though this time it was wonked, very resilliant fish. they are fast healers if they are healthy and I hope you don't have any bullies like I do. I put Charlie in his own tank to heal, the tattered tail can prove to be a little too tempting for greedy fish, even if they are small. best to you

• putter4ever
    16 years ago

Oh I forgot! in case you didn't know koi tend to jump occasionally, we found that especially when they are new to an area, you know newly shipped or they've been disturbed for cleaning or what have you. at the store we covered our makeshift pond every night just to keep them safe, little worse than comming in to work to find a $200.00 fish dried and crusty on the floor.