Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_vagabond

New to koi

james_vagabond
10 years ago

Hi folks, I just picked up an established koi pond off of CL. It is an 800 gallon stock tank with a waterfall, filters and a few fountains for increased d.o. It came with six healthy Koi and I intend to A) make it deeper by sealing plexiglass around it for a clear viewing window and more room, from there I am attaching a few clear flexible tubes to connect to satellite ponds so the fish have plenty of room. I want to install a gate for hatchlings so they don't get eaten by the big guys.

I plan on using this for aquaponics as well, for a dynamic use. As I am trying to have a self-sufficient set up, and have experience growing spirulina in a lab setting, I'd like to raise/grow their food supply, but haven't had the greatest luck finding info other than for very large ponds. Is it possible to raise krill, algae, plants etc in sufficient quantities to provide a full and diverse diet? I want to give them the best, and often find nothing beats homebrew. I can control what fillers/additives/garbage that manufacturers use to save money, while providing them a balanced whole diet.

If anyone has experience with this and can recommend a good blend of algae/crustaceans/plants I would appreciate it. I can raise the krill and etc separately and batch feed the koi so they don't eat them all in one shot.

Thanks I look forward to hearing your wisdom!

Comments (2)