Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Kio Pond Pictures

boystown
10 years ago

I would love to see your kio pond pictures and the plants you have in and around you pond. We want to install a small on and we need design ideas, please. Many thanks

Comments (17)

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

Hi granny, I have two ponds. The first is a gravel bottom with skimmer and bio-filter. It is only 2 feet deep, and really is only a garden pond. This was my first pond...I will show you before and after. I had a company install, but I did all the landscaping.

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

still before

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

2 years ago

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

And last year, this year I will be separating many of these plant to move to my new pond.

• boystown
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Craigger7, Oh, my goodness what a stunning pond. Love all of your plants and the long stream of water. What a site!!!! Would you tell me what kind of plants you have around the pond? Thank you so much for sharing. I know you enjoy what you have created and the new ponds will be wonderful. Thanks again

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

Thank you granny, I would be more than happy too. I have a few other friends who have ponds and we laugh. As people share photos of their grand kids and children. We share photos of our fish and ponds.
    I had to use all plants that required full sun. Also, I only plant perennials. I used many different types of creeping Thymes, and perennial herbs. I also tried to concentrate on plants that look good out of bloom. I used an assortment of grasses, put the smaller ones in from and taller grasses in the back. There are many things you can grow from seed.
    There is one plant that everyone talks about when they see the pond and it really does highlight the pond. I was told it is a Moon Flower. However, there must be many different types. I've know people who have bought this plant on line and afterwards it is not the same. The plant loves water and seems to thrive next to the pond. It has huge dark green leaves and these nice white trumpets that only open when the sun goes down.
    I really hope you have as much fun with you pond as I do with mine. It becomes the focal point of the yard. I work as a RN and I'm always busy. After installing my big pond I had neighbors walking up to my house that I haven't talked to in years just to see the pond. When the waterfalls start, I know its spring.

Hope this helped..

Craig

• TreeRoots
    9 years ago

Wow, Craigger!!! Who needs a pool at that point, right? ;) Do you have a thread on your ponds? I would love to see a "build thread". Man, all of that rock makes me drool... I love a good, natural hardscape in the garden.

I'll be following this thread for advice. I plan on having a fancy pond in my future house. :)

• KoiKeeper45
    9 years ago

This is stunning! Are the rocks in the middle a makeshift island for turtles or simply there to look beautiful?

• Craigger7
    9 years ago

Thank you guys...let me see your pictures!!!!

• Maria2013
    9 years ago

Craigger7, wow!!
    ...mine has the same shape, with the upper pond for plants only, and the bottom for koi, but mine is a small fraction in size. I wish I could have made it larger but sitting between 2 staircases there was no more room

Awesome pond!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Japanese Blood Grass, Imperata cylindrica, 'Rubra' works good as a edge pond plant. Here's some I installed for a friend's pond I help make. The pond is about 12 ft long and 4 ft. wide by almost 3 1/2 ft. deep. Shaded from the late afternoon sun.
    The koi are as big as a Presto log and hide in a black 12" corrugated ADS pipe. Herons and raccoons, you know.
    Mike

• Craigger7
    9 years ago

Wow that Japanese Blood Grass looks awesome, nice pond and garden

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I have some more.
    Here's one of mine. No liner and only has water in it about ten months of the year. All my downspouts are routed to it with 4 inch corrugated ADS pipe. I get overflow runoff from my neighbor's pond during the late fall, winter, and spring. I buy feeder goldfish in the spring to keep down the mosquitos. When it starts to go dry in the late summer the Herons and Kingfish help themselves and I get to watch the show. It beats watching expensive Koi being eaten. There are plenty of leopard and tree frogs.
    Mike

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Craigger7, I like the way you arranged the rocks in a very natural way. That can be hard to do, but worth the extra effort in the long run. Worth the extra expense too, when you use larger rocks.
    I had these dropped off at the top of the slope and then slid them down into place on iron guard rails. Easier than going uphill with them.
    Mike
    {{gwi:62130}}

• Craigger7
    9 years ago

That looks awesome!!!

• HU-82002173
    5 years ago

Abosolutely stunning!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH