Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motherotwins

New and completely ignorant!!!

motherotwins
10 years ago

I've seen other postings like this but I feel even less informed than others! We just moved into a home near a river and completely surrounded by trees. There is a koi pond in the back - has a plastic bottom and surrounding rocks. The sellers didn't tell us anything about it and we didn't know there were fish in it until the ice thawed. Lots of small goldfish and at least one large koi (or something). The bottom is completely filled with fallen leaves, there isn't a water feature yet for aeration and to keep it from being a mosquito breeding ground.

What should I do??? Clean the leaves out? Will the fish get upset? Am I supposed to be feeding them and what??? Help!!! I appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (2)

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

I'm sorry but I did have to chuckle a bit at your post. I will try to give you all the information.
    First off, what I believe you have is a molded pond that you would find at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you can, get a measuring tape and see how deep, and how wide the pond is. Next you have to ask yourself if you want this pond. Garden Ponds are not hard to take care of, but they do require attention. They are enjoyable, a nice source for aquatic plants for gardens, and you will become attached to your fish. If you don't want this pond, simple find the fish a good home. DO NOT dump them in the river by your house. Empty the pond, pull up the plastic pond and fill in the hole.
    If you want the pond, this is what you will need: A skimmer net, gold fish pellets, and a bottle of beneficial bacterial. Look for a private owner garden center that specializes in garden ponds, they can help you too. This next item is beneficial to your pond and adds a nice component. I'm guessing the pond is not more than 500 gallons. Look at Lowe's or Home Depot for SmartPond Complete Pump Filter System. This has a spout that you can adjust to go out of the water to provide aeration for you fish and a filtration unit. You will have to periodically clean the filter pad. You will need a power line to the pond.
    OK I know this sounds like allot, but its not. First, use the skimmer net to get all the muck and leaves out of the pond. That decays and produces poor water quality.
    Depending on your view of the pond, there is many different ways you can go. In a month or two you will see a large selection of aquatic plants at that same private garden center. I warn you this hobby is addicting, you may even name you fish (guilty), The filtration system I mentioned is what you can do to get by minimal. Search the house to see what the owner has left for you. I believe that system is $150, you may wish to invest more later on. Since you have a power line out there for filtration you may wish to add garden lights later, the sky is the limit.

Hope this helps...

Craig

• DramaQueen1
    9 years ago

Motherotwins, I would follow Craig's advice completely. I put a pond in my yard last year and I can't tell you how much enjoyment it has given me. My pond is 9 x 6 x 3' deep and holds approximately 1150 gallons of water. I skim the pond often so the leaves and debris don't drop to the bottom and after a year my water is crystal clear. I have a filtering system, and lights in and around my pond and yard. I also have three waterfalls leading to the pond and the waterfalls stay on 24/7 for aeration. Other than skimming and, in hot weather adding some algae reducer, my pond requires absolutely no maintenance whatsoever. I have seven healthy Koi fish in there that are growing bigger by the minute. You will LOVE your pond, and before you think of giving it up give it a try. There are several good articles on the Internet and on pond maintenance websites that will give you all the information you need. Learn as much as you can and enjoy every minute of your pond. If you have a company that installs and maintains ponds in your area I would give them a call; you can learn a lot from them and and they may be able to help you clean your pond so you have a nice clean start.

This post was edited by DramaQueen1 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 14:45

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz