Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie1964_gw

Koi wish list

carrie1964
18 years ago

Hello everyone and Happy Spring!Whats on everyones list this year for new Koi? This is only my second year , but i have just fallen in love with mine. The neighbors surely think I`m nuts, standing outside every night after work staring into my pond in the dead of winter!

I have already ordered my new koi for this year, but I can`t put them in the pond until it warms up a bit. I bought a tancho, a cute bekko, a kujako and a beautiful Hi utsuri. We added more filtration this year and are adding a second lower pond so I can have more fish.

I`m looking for a really nice Shiro Utsuri. But I think I have used up my fish budget for this year!

Carrie

Comments (12)

• goodkarma_
    18 years ago

Happy spring to you as well Carrie! Congrats on your new Koi. My wish list would be, an Aigoromo, Budogoromo, a Goshiki with thick red pattern, a Kohaku with red lips, and a couple of old style Showas. Just a wish, because I doubt I will be getting any more Koi.

Lisa

• shane
    18 years ago

I dont think i could find these within my budget but I would just love to get any in the Hikarimono line(would love a Yamabuki ogon) and also in the Asagi-Shusui line aswell(dream about either a ki Shusui or a asagi), but i get a feeling that these are not going to be cheap or easy to come by.
    SHane

• mike_il
    18 years ago

SHane, The types that you are talking about should not be that costly. The better the fish the higher the cost. But usually the big three are higher in cost and all the other are about the same cost.
    Mike

• shane
    18 years ago

oh really thats great to know, Do the kinds I mentioned only come from certain other ones, or is it a mixed bag when koi produce? I mean do showas only come from breeding showas? Or will breeding a showa with an asagi produce a mixed bag with a chance a getting say a tancho? Sorry for asking if this is a silly question but besides what i learn off the net I dont have to many other places of input, there are no clubs within 3hrs of here and I dont personally know any breeders
    SHane

• carrie1964
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lisa,
    Thats exactly what I`m looking forward to in the future! I love any goromo especially budogoromo. and goshiki with lots of hi. I have a Kohaku with one half of a red lip...lol. Not good at putting on his lipstick!
    Carrie

• mike_il
    18 years ago

SHane, Look at the thread "How do you say". Go to the link in the thread and it will tell you what they breed to get what.
    Mike

• steviedude100
    18 years ago

have i made a mistake...the first post in this thread said that you would not put your new koi into your pond until it warms up a bit ...well i just brought 2 lovely butterfly koi 2 day and i put them in the pond today should i have done...this is my first proper year in the koi hobbie :D

• carrie1964
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Stevie,
    It depends on where your fish came from. Mine are in a heated greenhouse in North Carolina and my pond is still between 50-60 degrees. The temp change would stress the fish . So she won`t ship them to me until my pond temp is close to her tank temps.But if your fish were in an outside pond or tank they will be fine. It also depends on where you live I guess. We are still having some cool nights here!
    P.S. The Koi hobby is VERY addictive! :)

• steviedude100
    18 years ago

yer i have gatherd that it is very addictive, im out in my garden every day checking on my fish and then i check my shed because i have an isolation tank where i put my baby goldfish that i have found...well the koi where in an inside greenhouse sort of place but the water was fairly cold. the man said that the fish would be perfectly fine if i left them in the bag sitting in the water for 30-40 minutes and then puttin some of my pond water in the bag and leaving them for another 10-20 minutes. but when i released them they seemed to go in a dormant stage instantly i thought i killed them... but now they are hidding under some sort of weed in there. and yes i am already addicted to the koi buisness but im sure my pond is a load of rubbish n i really want to do something with it...would i be best starting my own thread asking for help on what to do..sorry but i am new here and really want to get into this for the summer :) and also i am from england down south near london to be exact

• carrie1964
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It sounds like your fish are just fine, they usually hide for a few days.There are alot of people on the pond and aquatic forum that would love to help you with any questions you might have.
    My pond is also pathetic compared to some I`ve seen on here! But I`m changing alot of things this year and putting in a second lower pond as well. Do you have pictures? Heres a link to my pics. These were last year and we were still haulng all the rock up the hill (we still are this week)Last weekend I rebuilt my leaky waterfall and put in a bog garden behind the pond. Soon I will start digging the new pond.
    Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: pond

• steviedude100
    18 years ago

yer i have some pics of my pond but i really wish to upgrade it soon but im not sure if my mum will let me, it has some tiny little filter which im sure isnt good enough compared to the filters some of you people have but here is some pics of my pond at this time, i have some work to do on it yet!

pond!

http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pond4ej.jpg

waterfall!

http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waterfall5kv.jpg

i would love to have a pond as good as the majority of those on this site! but i shall be working on it...but the only problem is that i am limited on cash as i am only 17 :(

• mike_il
    18 years ago

Steviedude 100, What I remember of what I have seen of pond temps in England you have a good and bad thing as compared to here. If I remember right the pond temps there stay about the same temp all year with it going down just a little in the winter and going up a little in the summer. The pond temps here depending on where the pond is located range from 38F in winter to 90F in the summer. If I remember correctly the pond temps there range from about 50F to 65F. Here in the early spring a pond can easily change 5 to 10 degrees overnight. This can be very hard on small fish when they are first introduced. That is why it is better to wait here until the pond temp is more stable. You don't have that problem. What you do have is that the water never gets very warm. This means the fish will grow slower.
    Mike

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor