Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

How long to start cycle in new pond?

hbwright
17 years ago

I got my new pond in and running, 140 gallons with filter and pump attached to spitter. The pH is 7.6 and so far no ammonia build up. We added 1 goldfish about 6 inches and 2 shubunkins, 1 about 4 inches and the other about 3 1/2. I wanted to account for adult size but still have enough to cycle. So far I measured ammonia four days ago and it measured less then 1 so I thought the cycle was starting, next day was the same reading and the day after it was 0. It has also rained that day so maybe the rain affected it? How long should I expect to wait for the ammonia to build up and nitrites to start building up. I haven't added salt but I think I may start to add some to help them through the process. So far they seem to be doing well but of course I've got to get through the cycle before I can judge my success.

And, the guy at the store told me that I shouldn't need to add more dechlorinator when I just top off the pond if it is less then 10% and can use the hose to top off. Is this true? I was using a 5 gallon bucket of treated tap water but being right next to the hose it would be tons easier to just turn on and spray.

Comments (2)

• squinn
    17 years ago

Everyone will tell you something different. I've found simplistic is best. The pond will regulate itself if you let it.

I treated with dechlorinator when i first set up the pond but never have since, And I am coming up on two years. I have my pond in a greenhouse so it goes year round. I have two comets and two shubunkins. I never test pH, nitrates, or anything else. I have plants and use a terta filter with two grades of pads and bioballs (Used a smack pack to start). I top off and even added 1/2 the volume again (pesky nephew pulled a tube off the waterfall) with no ill affect. But every town has different tap water, as a caution. Also check your local garden extension and check your rain pH, you may need to adjust more for that then for tap water.

If I get some algae (one bloom so far, knock on wood) I throw in a scoop of barley treatment, one in the pond and one on the bioballs. You may see more of these being outside. I know I did when I had a outside koi haven.

Happy fishing!

• glen3a
    16 years ago

Regarding cycling, I think whether or not you see a rise in your ammonia level when cycling will also depend on the amount of fish in the pond versus the total volume of water. Example: If you put your three fish in a newly set up 10-gallon aquarium youÂd probably notice the ammonia level rising after just a few days. After that youÂd probably be doing water changes while the filter is Âcycling just to keep the ammonia/nitrite/nitrates from reaching dangerous levels. With a 140-gallon pond, however, it will still cycle, but hopefully the levels of ammonia wonÂt reach dangerous levels because thatÂs a lot of water for 3 smaller fish. In an outdoor pond thereÂs other things that create ammonia, however, such as decaying leaves, bugs, etc.

Everyone has their own method of doing things. You might not have to add dechlorinator when doing a 10% water change. Some people choose to play it safe and add some. Personally I do add dechlorinator, but I donÂt bother mixing it with the water in a bucket beforehand.

Example: my pond is 300 gallons. If I do a substantial water change, I remove one-third or approximately 100 gallons. When I add the new 100 gallons of water, I just take the hose and let it run into the pond. The brand of dechlor that I use needs one capful for every 10 gallons, so ten capfuls in total for the 100 new gallons of water, so as the hose is filling the pond IÂll just add a capful or two every couple of minutes. ItÂs not an exact science, sometimes IÂll only add enough dechlorinator 80 gallons yet fill with 100 gallons of new water.

Glen

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida