Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
determining the gender of my koi

Posted by anne_k z5b IN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 9:52

The winter of 2009 we lost a lot of fish to bitter cold, including one large koi. Since we lost that koi, we've not had any baby koi so I assume the three I have left are all the same gender. (They produced babies in the past and are over 12 inches long so they are mature.) I have read numerous web sites about sexxing your koi but I cannot tell whether I have all males or all females.

My question is, if I have females and no males, will they still produce eggs or do they only produce eggs if there are males around to fertilize them? If females get fat with eggs each spring regardless, then I doubt mine are females since they don't seem to get bulgy. But if they only get fat with eggs if males are around, then mine might be females.

I was told that if I got some water from a pond that had females in it and poured it into my pond, I could tell the gender of my koi from the reaction--no reaction, I have females and frantic reaction, I have males. Trouble is, we have few knowledgeable koi dealers around here.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: determining the gender of my koi

Knowing the gender of Koi is quiet simple, look at the fish as they are swimming toward you if they are the same size in diamiter with no bulge in the middle they are male if the bulge is evident they are females. The bulge is EGGS inside they will have the eggs inside wheather or not there is a male present in the pond. The buldge will start just past the head on the koi. Hope this is helpful
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here