Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Dieing

Posted by rapidwiz Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 14:57

Hi,

I have lost a few fish this spring and want to know if any one has any ideas. I have had the pond for about 2 years. I know spring is the most dangerous with the bacteria and I guess I expect younger fish to die. But I am having fairly mature fish die for no reason.

I am in zone 5, so water doesn't get too cold, but maybe cold enough. Should I try bringing the fish in over winter?

My pond is 4.5 deep and I specifically built it to handle the milder winters. I keep my pump and air filter going thru out winter.

I did a PH and Ammonia Test and seems to be fine.

I have Gold Fish and Koi. The Gold Fish seem to weather it just fine. I have about 10 koi ranging from 14" to 3". I just had my 16" koi die.

I was thinking of getting a 300 Gallon Stock tank and keeping it indoors for the winter and shutting down the large pond ?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Dieing

If your using city water are you checking chlorine levels? What do you add to your water like koi caly, bacteria...etc.

o
RE: Fish Dieing

I live in a remote area and we get our walk from a lake. I don't or haven't added any clay or bacteria. When I first started the pond, I bought some beneficial bacteria, but typically don't add any. I assume as the warm weathr starts, bacteria will naturally build up.

First time I have heard about koi clay

Water is about 45 degrees at the moment.

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here