Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psychotic_madman

New to pond fish, but want to keep koi

psychotic_madman
17 years ago

Got a couple of years experience with tropical aquariums, but ponds are new to me. I well aware of the nitrogen cycle, and stocking levels with comparison to surface area(though addvice is welcome)

I'm looking at building a pond in the next month or two, so I'd like plenty of input.

Due to the fact their are little children, this will have to be a raised pond (was thinking of 4"by4" posts every meter to suport the pond. It needs to be a minimum of 2foot above the ground, and i will get a digger in to bring the level below down 2.5-3 foot giving me a total of 4.5-5foot depth.

I have a large garden, but not huge, would a pond 2 meters by 3-4 meters be big enough for koi. I have read that Koi can grow up to a metre, and going by the aquarium guide of 4 times the length and 1.5 times the width, compared to their total body length.

I also read an article about mud pools, which are supposedly far better for the koi. the soil here is very heavy clay, and is quite often boggy, though i do live on a hill, there is a fairly high water table.

I'm more likly to want to line it (for peice on mind rather than anything else) whether that be with flexible liner or precast(havent seen anything like i want yet)

though I wont compromise on the fishes needs, I havent got huge amounts of money to throw at this thing, so DIY addvice is also welcome.

the other thing I've read about is (as with indoor aquariums aswell) that plants will help with the filtering process, and that is something I'd really like to have, ie a well planted pond .

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH