Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip711

Koi Problem

kevip711
17 years ago

I may be to early with this post but I have a new pond, been working now about 10 days.. I have 7 koi and a few have eyes that seem to be bulging slightly, one had a eye that is a bit red on the outside of the eye. My Ph and alkalinity is high but all else is normal, my filter was off for two days.. I will buy some stuff to lower to ph and akalinity but should I be worried or is this just fish stress than will go away.. One platinum seems to not want to eat but his eyes look ok.. Fish range from 12 inches to 6, my two biggest seem to be perfectly fine... the 8 inch platinum worries me the most as he doest eat and kinda moops around... I cant see any other problems besides the slight eye bulge.. wife doesnt think they are bulging and I am paranoid but wanted advice just in case..

Comments (29)

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok just treated water and now the test strips come back as all acceptable, please tell me it just some koi stress.. can post the pics as I cant connect to my web site, but as soon as I can will post tomorrow night the pics of the fish..

• surfhead
    17 years ago

Everything you described....bulging eyes, red spot, isolation...sounds like a bacterial infection. The smaller ones thend to get sick first. Watch for signs of dropsy (puffed up and the scales start to "pinecone") on the ones with bulging eyes. also, watch for ulcers (red sores on the body and fins).

This is a new pond, so the biofilter is not cycled. Have you been feeding? 7 koi but how many gallons?

do NOT lower pH and kH!!!!!! a high pH is fine!!! in fact a high pH will help your biofilter cycle. Changes in pH are the worst thing you can do!

you say the parameter are "acceptable" please define. what are the exact readings of Ammonia, nitrites, pH and kH? What is the pond temp and have you added any salt?

You say you just "treated" the water...what did you add?

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The pond is about 3,500 gallons. The eyes are just a bit puffy on some of them. No spots, sores, scale problems I can see. The product I used is a starter pond powder, its at home so dont have the name. Koi are all eating fine except the 1 platinum, I feed once in the morning and once in the evening. Havent added any salt, only the pre pond formula and the clorine and cloramine remover. Algae growth is improving daily and water is clear. Pressure on the jets and waterfall are both good. I didnt see really any isolation as they all seem to stay together, occasionally the white one will wonder off. The smallest one seems fine, the largest two are fine with the exception of one of them bothering the largest female to spawn again, would be second time in 1.5 weeks. The three I am worried about are the mid size ones. Pond temp is probably 75 degrees, I am testing with the test strips so would have to look at it to give you those readings. But none of the colors that you match up on the bottle are indicating any problems as of today; tested at lunch.. If its bacterial what should I add to the water? I called my web host and they said it should be back up today, I will post the pics on a different URL and let you see them, this is the best way to show you.. I may just be paranoid, I just didnt remember the eyes being puffy when I got them but maybe they were already and its normal.. If my site is up will post around 10pm tonight central time..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Been reading alot and since I have had the pond I have had the first pump fail so had to run on recirculate for a day or so. Then just recently I had to replace the pump so it was down another day and a half, during those days the water quality was terrible, I could not see the bottom of the pond. Is this the cause? I still cant post to my web site so if I cannot post tonight will post to my other site which is for a spa. To me looking at many pics out there its borderline popeye in my opinion. After you see the pics if you think it is popeye let me know what treatment you recommend, many sites say its fatal but others say it could just go away with proper water..

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin, I would guess that you are seeing some Ammonia building up in the pond and will continue to build for a few weeks and than the Nirites will build. You should be doing daily water changes of 10 to 15% per day for a while until the bacteria can grow. Do not try to adjust PH or KH.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Will do.. up to 4 out of 7 of my fish affected.. I cant post the pics cause I cant update my site. They are look like some stage of popeye, they all eat except for one. How can have this many fish get this sick in 8 days? Nitrites tested fine?? I am assumming the fish are goners?? What else do I do besides water changeouts..? If you have a email I can send you the pics.. you have my email already. Thanks.. First the pump problems now the fish, not getting off to a good start..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike I just let go about 10% of water and am now refilling. I would say its a popeye on at least one for sure, the platinum is still moping around, eye just a but swollen, he eats the algea but not the koi food. I tested water again and nitrates dont even register at all on the strip. Still puzzled, did I add the fish too soon, was it the two seperate occasions my pump was out for a day or so? I got these from a good dealer who imports them all from Japan so I know the koi are good.. is this just the new pond experience or what.. I have tried to do everything right.. I even lost my second turtle in two days.. nothing is going right.. first one got sucked into the drain, second one ran away?? I have got so many comments from links and neighbors on how good this pond looks but it means nothing if the fish in it just die.. depressed at this point..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok website is finally up and I can post. Have the pics at home so will update tonight. The Platinum actually ate some pellets this morning so was a bit suprised. He is the one I really want to save to me he is perfect no flaws that I could see.. Check tonight around 9-10pm Central..

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Koi

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin, Do you have any salt in the water? If so how much?
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No salt at all unless Clear Zyne has salt in it?? pics are up.. but today complete turn around, eyes barely swollen at all now, still a bit but not much. Platinum is eating too.. anyway let me know what you think.. it may be all for not though as they look alot better today..

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Koi, maybe?

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry go to the first link, the second doesnt work.. thanks.. any ideas? or am I just paranoid.. like I said they look alot better today but the platinum one is still kinda being a loner hanging out by the waterfall, but is now eating normally, Mikeil changed out another 10-15% water today too..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I swapped out water, let the algea bloom grow a bit and now all affected fish no longer have pop eye.. ?? but my platinum still kinda is a loner and does hang by the waterfall alot, is this a problem.. all are eating fine.

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin, Add some salt to the pond at the rate of 1.25 lbs per 100 gallons of water. Add 1/2 one day and the other half the next.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

you want me to add like 30 pds of salt? you sure?? what does this do or whats it for..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What type of salt should I add, grocery store? what should I avoid? I read up on the salt additive and agree with the idea.. but want to make sure I get the correct salt and not put in Mortons or something..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike I am assuming you saw the pics of the swollen eyes.. I am a newbie to all this but how can this happen so quickly to reputable fish and a new pond. The fish now look alot better and will do the salt treatment once I know which salt to buy.. but I am still learning and would like to know how this happened in the first place and why it was only a couple of the fish. The smallest fish were not affected at all.. hoping for good info.. as you seem to help everyone here at this forum with good info, I still would like to link your site if you want.. email is kevip@excite.com you help so many its a shame not to advertise your business, the link is free too..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok got the salt, will disolve in pond water and then pour in tonight.. the cost of this project is getting out of control.. I never realized starting that it would cost this much just on maintenance on the water and koi. At some point does the water/algea/clarity/koi stabalize ever?

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin, I hope you didn't spend too much on salt as 30 lbs should cost about $3.00. Morton's solar salt is good. You will find it in the water softner salt section in a blue bag. The eyes popping out is a result of the pressure inside the fish is greater than the water pressure on the outside of the fish. This is usually a sign that the kidneys have stopped working in which case usually the fish will die. But in your case the cause is probably consipation.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Water softner section where? I went to petco and it was like 11$ a box which was only 5 pds maybe.. Where should I be going to get this? The eyes on all the fish are fine now, but the platinum is the only one acting weird. He hangs by the waterfall or plants unless its feeding time. He also eats less than the others. I did the salt today, added some water, declorinater and just a tad of AccuClear pond clarifier. Will add the rest of the salt tomorrow, mortor in some rock pieces and fill the rest of the pond up.. Anything else I need to do, this thing will stabilize at some point right.. I am flat broke and cannot spend anymore money, petco today cost 104$

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mike, I did again the same as above minus the mortor on the rocks, didnt have time, bought some guiding lanterns today and a granite bench to make the pond area look more asian. Where again are you getting this three dollar salt.. I only added maybe a total of 15 pds. Also having a problem clearing the water.. its not a pea green its just murky, any products or ideas on how to clear the pond up, the fish seem fine and happy but would like to clear up the water.. Will check it again tomorrow after all the stuff I added today but I expect about the same tomorrow... I can barely see the bottom drain and its 37 inches down

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Will shop around for some more salt today at a different place. Mike if you notice on the link all fish's eyes are back to normal. Just now have to figure out how to clear the algae bloom. I adjusted my pump and valves to slow the water flow so my UV can do its job but will probably need something else to help, any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond and Koi Pics

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin, The water softener section at Home Depot has it here. You can probably find it anywhere they sell water softener salt. You need to be a little more patience. Your fish will be a lot better off if you can leave things alone for a little while. If the UV is properly sized and the flow rate is correct than the pond should clear.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Will do I agree, I purchased sea salt at kroger no iodine. Hopefully this is fine.. put in some algae bloom killer and fish didnt like it at all. I think I will take your advice and leave the pond alone for a while.. thanks for your help.. did you want me to add your web site to my links.. do you have one.. would love to at least see it?

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin,
    The salt that you got is fine. My website is at whitewaterfilters.com.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Would you like me to add a link on my site to yours? Thanks for all your help, algea bloom I created is all gone now, water is clear, fish are happy, and I am happy.. :)

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I added your site to my links page, may not be much to bring you business but it is my thanks and way to honor you in your help of other people and myself..

• mike_il
    17 years ago

Kevin thank you. I don't come to this forum to get business but to help people when I can. Some times I can and some times I can't. My problem is that in the spring and summer I usually am very busy and don't have the time to spend on the forum. But I always try to wade thru my emails and am more than willing to give anyone my cell number to call for help. I have spent the last 17 years with ponds of all sorts and love it. In that time I think that I may have seen almost all the possible problems a pond can have and have learned a little about them. But I also come here to learn and gain more knowledge.
    Mike

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought my pond guy was smart, your smarter.. that says alot since my pond guy is very respected around here.. Since starting this pond and talking to him and having him come out a couple times, I have noticed even some mistakes he made.. so no ones perfect but I value your advice the most.. I read through the forums all the time, from bamboo to maples and others.. you help alot of people out there and that is very honorable.. not expecting anything in return.. I am a buddhist so I find your actions as very buddhist like..

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Such an old post, Admins can remove it.. thanks

Sponsored