Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevip711

Popeye Fish

kevip711
17 years ago

I know this is already one of my threads but Mike or anyone can assist. New pond and half my koi seemed to be affected. All are at one state or another in infection, no sores or scale problems yet just puffy eyes and one that wont eat koi food. All water test seems to be fine, Pond has been running 2+ weeks and koi were introduced about 8 days ago. I did have two outages with the pump on different days which lasted about 30 hrs each. I am replacing water now and retreating it with chlorine remover, but wondering if my affected fish are gonners or if there is anything I can do. Desperate, I have spent to much time, money and and effort into this project and am amazed that the fish would get sick in only 8 days... help.. on top of this disaster lost two turtles in two days, one to the bottom drain the other is MIA

Comments (7)

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok website is finally up and I can post. Have the pics at home so will update tonight. The Platinum actually ate some pellets this morning so was a bit suprised. He is the one I really want to save to me he is perfect no flaws that I could see.. Check tonight around 9-10pm Central.. Sorry for the double post, I just want to get these guys well or fix whatever problem is there..

Here is a link that might be useful: Sick Koi

• misterfish
    17 years ago

If it's Popeye put them in your q-tank and add salt till it reachs .6. That's .1 salt a day till you reach .6
    This worked for me.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I swapped out water, let the algea bloom grow a bit and now all affected fish no longer have pop eye.. ?? but my platinum still kinda is a loner and does hang by the waterfall alot, is this a problem.. all are eating fine.

• shyrock
    17 years ago

I have a rowdy koi that is about 12' long, and he loves to jump completely out of the water almost like he is playing with the fountain spray, but about a month ago he overshot his jump and landed outside the fence on the cement pathway, and was dry when I found him. After about an hour of fishyrespiration, he came back and is fine except for a dent on one side of his head and his eye on the other side of his head has started to bulge out. He has no wounds and his eating and rowdiness is as active as ever.

• lorraineal
    17 years ago

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I _really_ have to ask.

What the heck is "fishyrespiration" and how is it administered?

• surfhead
    17 years ago

you hold the koi under the water and move it back and fourth to get water flowing across the gills. If possible hols the koi in an area where there are bubbles from an air stone or waterfall. You would be suprised how effective this is. I have had koi jump and be out of the water more then 30 min. their skin was dry and hard and their gills were barely moving. but with a little TLC they made it just fine.

shyrock...when fish jump they are not playing. they are either stressed or dealing with some sort of parasite.

• kevip711
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow I was picturing a straw in its mouth you blowing on it... my koi are all fine now.. in my area with my water baking soda regimen is needed to help the nitrite convert. I did turn my UV off and did a quick start bacteria program which caused a huge bloom. But no big thing just will take a week or so to clear.. my main issue was fish health and the nitrites spiking. They are now down to zero.. green water wont hurt the fish so no probs here. Happy all fish are safe and that nasty thread is over.. I reviewed everything I did with my pond pro here and I didnt do anything wrong.. its just here our water is not good and needs a bit of help..

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH