Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrydun

Fish Attacked by ???

terrydun
14 years ago

Hi, Glad to have found this forum. I have a small Koi pond, maybe 1000 gallons, with three Koi and now one goldfish. At 7AM Saturday, I went out to feed the fish, and one of the goldfish, was lying on our patio next the the pond, with a large cut along its gill, flesh hanging, and bleeding. I spent hours trying to help, knowing that it was likely a lost cause. I live in a densely populated neighborhood where I have never personally seen a racoon. However, The night before the attack, I did see a very large bird fly slowly over our swimming pool. We live near Austin Texas. I have seen very large water birds at a lake about 10 miles away. The fish that was killed was about 5-6 inches top to bottom, and maybe 8 inches long not including the flowing fins and tail, which appear to have been nipped at as well. I am trying to figure out what happened here, so that I can understand what I need to do. The 3 Koi are 12-15 inches long, and the remaining goldfish is very young and maybe only 3 inches long. I have not see the smaller goldfish since this incident. It may be gone too. I do know that my pond is too shallow, having read about crane/heron attacks, but I have never had this problem in the 5-6 years I have had such ponds. If you have any thoughts on what I should be looking for to figure this out, or any ideas on how to prevent future attacks, I will be grateful. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Terry

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus